• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early/late windshield seal differences?

robsanab

How do you tell the difference between the pre-73 (51 31 7 440 104) and the 74 up (51 31 1 817 764) windshield seal?

I just did an inventory of all my parts so far (about ready to go on the car!) and I noticed BOTH these BMW numbers on the bag of this seal.

My body/paint guy will be installing the windshield and I want him to have the right part obviously.

thanks,

Rob

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Guest Anonymous

The windshield frame in my 1970 1602 has a serries of "teeth" that are designed to engage the rubber window seal. When the window is installed the glass window becomes a structural component of the car body. A shear panel in short that is supposed to increase the torsion stiffness of the body.

Not knowing any different I ordered a seal and had the window installed 15 years ago. The seal I got did not engage the teeth and to this day I can see the teeth when I look up at the visor in my car. Again not knowing the difference I find the handling OK with the wrong gasket.

You should check your car's window fram and get the correct gasket even if it requires ordering both styles and sending back the wrong one.

Have fun

I have a 75 and i don't see any 'teeth' around the window frame.

So are you thinking that the early model seal will work in a late car? But with a late model seal in an early car, since it doesn't take into account these teeth. some of these teeth may show? Then at least it's the same size it sounds like?

anyone else know of any identifying differences between these seals?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

They're different at the bottom (for the dash) I think...

and some have a bigger body gap to allow for the

beading that's used to hold the headliner and pillar covers.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL