• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Condenser?

cam1602

Are Distributor Condenser’s the same across the models and years? My car is a mix mash of parts and years. The distributor does not have a vacuum advance and was told that it is a TII style. Need to install a new condenser and not sure if it matters which style distributor I have but the local auto parts store can only look up per year and model.

Also, as a debugging tip, my car was running fine for a few minutes and then it just died. I let is sit for a while and it started right up and as soon as it got warm again, it would die. Chased lots of options over the weekend and finally changed out the condenser with a generic part. Car runs great now. Now I'm just trying to get the correct parts installed.

TIA

Never too late to have a happy childhood

Guest Anonymous

Although I have not had to purchase condensers for many years (using electronic ignition), I am pretty certain that there are several variations. In fact, there was a time when you might choose a condenser much like a spark plug and coil - depending upon the wear exhibited on the points.

Given your situation, I would be inclined to look at the points and if the wear patterns were acceptable, I would seek replacement with same part number. Given the condenser's function, I do not think the variations (even if you took a condenser from a 6 cyl model) is that critical, although I would be prepared to examine and if necessary dress and reset you points more often than usual!

To fill in on the story a little, I was at the track (Texas World Speedway) trying our my new/old Lemons BMW when the condenser failed. I ended up sodering in a lawn mower conderser just to get it running. And it ran great! In the instructors run group, I was able to keep up with a Z4 and Boxter. My lap times were not too far off my Spec Miata race times.

Never too late to have a happy childhood

I think the difference in condensors is in the mounting rather than the capacitance. They are capacitors after all and the ignitions systems of all the models are pretty similar, so the capacitance should be about the same.

My old roundy (1968) had a condenser that mounted to the outside of the distributor. My square light (1975) had one that mounted through a square hole in the distributor. the tii's might have a third variation.

I first owned a 2002 in 1975.