• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever think of making a fiberglass copy of an early dash?

PSloan

I've got an early dash with the chrome on it and it's pretty rough. I'm trying to weigh out my options - and I thought about making a glass copy and then wrapping it in hand stitched vinyl or leather like armond did. Does this sound possible to you guys? Or should I pony up the 2 grand to get it restored? Since it's in 3 pieces it seems like it would be alot easier than a 1 piece dash.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Guest Anonymous

Why not just cover the old one with stitched vinyl/leather? You know it would fit back in nearly perfectly. I, too, will have to deal with this issue, eventually. Although having a pre-covered fiberglass replacement could make the swap a one day job. Commercializing a custom covered replacement dash sounds like an interesting venture for some enterprizing restoration entrepreneur.

Roger

'72 Malaga

My dash is pretty fubar'd. It looks like an old set of piano keys. I'd take it all apart - sand it - fill it - then make a good mold. I'm not experienced with fiberglass so it would be a learning experience for me.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Patrick, did you get my email about the clutch? Sent via the FAQ yesterday. You probably need to update your email. Please email me directly...

By the way I will be selling a near-mint '67-68 upper dash section eventually. I need to swap the dash out of the car so I'm not sure when it will get done since thats a major job. I'm planning on putting it on eBay at the time.

bimmerjeff AT gmail DOT com

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I used long hair fiberglass to repair my old three piece. It had twenty three cracks in it and some sizeable chunks missing. First I soaked the pieces in Marine Clean degreaser to get the years of Armor All out of it, then let it dry, scuff sanded it, drilled 1/4" holes to act as anchors for the long hair fiberglass resin (I'm used to working with concrete), sanded it all into shape, floated some bondo and icing to smooth it out, then painted with primer sealer then automotive paint. I changed the color to RLM Grey to match my race cars paint scheme but if you used black primer/sealer you'd have nearly a spot on perfect stock look. I also removed the heater controls and glassed in my switch panel, MC, and a vent. Came out pretty nice and looks a whole lot better than where I started and didn't cost me the crazy amounts they ask on ebay for nice replacement three piece dashes.

I've easily got about sixty hours into the process of repairing the old one, but given the customization and low cost of the materials used I consider that a very fair trade off compared to buying a nice one then butchering to fit into a race car...

hth...

-s

post-286-13667595348489_thumb.jpg

post-286-13667595350456_thumb.jpg

post-286-13667595352613_thumb.jpg

post-286-13667595354657_thumb.jpg

post-286-13667595356592_thumb.jpg

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

Hey Pat,

How'd you and the cars fare during the storm? Wondering when I would see you back. We were lucky. Lost power at 3:51 am on Saturday. Lost water on Saturday, and didn't get it back 'till Sunday night. Got power back Monday evening. I was so happy that I did a dance when the power came back.

House did fine. Hid my 330 in a concrete garage 10 blocks from the house (second floor - in the middle).

Worst part - tree cleanup.

post-2706-13667595369557_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Well, all of my fences fell over and I has the window on my back door explode. I was out of power for 10 days - fron 4pm on friday to 7 pm the next monday. I actually put the audi outside because unlike my e30 and 1600 it has full coverage insurance.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Good grief! That stinks. I was standing in front of my front door looking at the wind and green lightning, and then I said "What the hell am I doing!".

Yeah - I have 2 fences down. I just propped them back up for now. It's going to be tough finding fence boards for awhile.

The power part really sucks. We have friends in West U that didn't lose power (they were the exception though), and other friends off of Montrose that just got it back yesterday.

Glad all is OK now.

As always - give me a shout if I can help you with the 1600.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.