• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat shield on firewall

robsanab

on a 75 there is an aluminum heat shield attached to the firewall which is molded down into the trans tunnel for the exhaust downpipe.

my car is at the shop and all apart for body work/paint... was wondering if I should have them take this off to coat the body with something (prime and paint? or undercoating?).

A thought: I do have some second skin damplifier that is supposed to be good to 500 degree F. I was going to use some of this on other parts or the firewall (to replace the old foam). Should I just use it as the heat shield too since it has an aluminum facing? anyone else try this or something else?

Also with the engine out I can't remember how much room there was between this shield and the downpipe... can anyone tell me? Enough to put more insulation or room if I build up that area with something and replace the shield?

thanks

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

keep the Orig shield in good condition ! -

it will polish up nicely with a little oil/grease remover,

then Aluminum Polish - followed by a Baking Powder

wipe down to remove the Amuinum Polish residue.

You cannot find a better substitute for fit and function.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Definitely pull it off and look at the metal underneath/clean and repaint if necessary. These can get soaked and hold a lot of water, then promote and hide rust. The rubber tubes that drain the cowl above it can leak (if you even still have these tubes) and that blanket can hold a lot of water. Maximillian sells the item.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

It's shiney not just for good looks. It's shiney for it's reflective properties. Years ago newspapers printed on aluminun sheets (plates). I got a bunch for reflective insulation in the ceiling of my cabin (can't use stuff like fiberglass, the chipmunks and squirrels would steal it all). Had some left from that job and used one to form a firewall sheild on my 71.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.