• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 engine in BMW 2002

Robberrick

Has anybody installed an S14/M3 engine in a RHD 2002?

If so I would like to make contact with you as I was wondering how you got around the problem of exhaust manifold and steering box.

I have heard that it is better to fit rack and pinion out of later BMW but not sure which model.

post-15341-13667594650237_thumb.jpg

71 BMW 2002 racecar with S14 motor.

Theres actually 2 s14 powered 02's in Brisbane. Contact Skippy_the_Bush_Kangaroo or AlanM on this board. Also, i suggest you look for Skippy's project blog in the project blog section. Both these fellas got around the exhaust issue by using 2 steering rods from a Toyota Tarago to eliminate that donut.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

It really depends what you want the car for and how much time and money your prepared to "invest" in the car.

I used the tarago coupling method as told to me by Allan Moore. It doesn't change the geometry or involve any cutting or welding , so there are no issues with the Transport department. This method removes the rubber donut and free's up a lot of space and allows for some decent headers to be made.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any more questions or would like a photo of anything. By no means am I an expert mechanic or fabricator, but I'll help out where I can.

"Why is one of my reverse lights on in 4th?"

If you do the e21/whatever rack conversion a standard m2 manifold still won't fit, but you will have a lot more space to work with. However, only go down this route if you're prepared to play around with the set up - currently there's no exact 'how-to' on this conversion, although it can be made to work.

Find your self a very good exhaust maker and show him the problem -if you're in the UK there's a guy whose just done this so his fabricator may be able to knock off another fairly easily.

Good luck, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg