• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need more power out of my M10

70BMW02

I have a 1970 02with an M10 with racing block, dual sidedraft Weber, 5 Speed. I was thinking about throwing a turbo on it but looks like EFI is the way to go with Turbo. What I might do is pick up another 02 and turbo that. My car is running great and I like the Weber’s. Does anyone out there have any tricks or anything I can do to get a little more horsepower out of my M10?

Thank you

stuff. If your engine isn't fresh, low compression, worn cam lobes, leaking valves, etc, take a major toll on power, so you may want to do some careful diagnostic work (compression and leak down testing, etc) before sinking more money and time into additions that won't have the impact you're looking for on a tired motor.

Also helps to make sure everything is well matched as far as performance characteristics - 40+ years ago, one of my high school buddies insisted on bolting an Edelbrock dual quad manifold with two 600 cfm AFB's on his otherwise bone-stock, low compression, 2 bbl 283 automatic Malibu. Gas mileage went in the toilet along with driveability, and he would up wiping out the motor because all the extra fuel that the engine couldn't burn wound up washing the oil off the cylinder walls and diluted the oil to the point where the rings and bearings went away.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Can you be more specific as to what your goals are? How much power are you looking for? How much budget do you have? How will the car be used? Do you have rules in a racing class to worry about? How about smog laws? I’m assuming that you have a healthy motor with good bearings and seals. You leak down and compression tests are good, right? What other aftermarket parts do you already have? As far as budget goes, adding power is only part of the equation. Also need to add more robust cooling. Is the rest of the drive train up for the elevated power? Are the brakes up to the task? How about the rest of the suspension? High compression with a big cam and open exhaust can be fun for a while as long as you do not have to rely on it for daily transportation. Highly recommend making a plan that will help you prioritize what you want VS what you need.

As far as a quick hit goes for a little more power with tuning, try adjustable cam gear and add wide band O2 sensor. Then spend a day at the dyno dialing it in. If you do it correctly, you can achieve better MPG and more power.

Good luck

Never too late to have a happy childhood