• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear drum service

CornDog

Does anyone have an easy way (or any way for that matter) to put the bottom retaining spring in behind the "anchor plate"?

I have fought and fought and feel that it is a losing battle...do I need a special tool, technique, both, or am I just in need of some serious coaching? You be the judge.

thanks,

Sam

btw it is a 1976 2002 with factory drums

seems everyone has a favorite technique. here's how I do it:

1) put the spring ends in the holes in both shoes and use a Quick-Grip clamp on each end. The middle of the spring is outside of the center plate.

2) put the tip of a long 3/16" screwdriver in the slot of the centerplate and lift the screwdriver handle end to flip the center of the spring over the plate

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I had a mojor strugel with my brake job until I put in both spring ends in the hole first. Then took a large screw driver and gave it a pop up and towards the drive shaft at about a 45 degree angle. It went in so smooth I could hardly beleive it. But first make sure everything else is lined up and flat againt the backing plate. the spring was the last thing i did.

Good luck

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"