• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever insure a 2002 with a roll cage?

m-racer

I am in the final throws of transacting on an 2002 purchase (after searching for the right car for several years). The car is heavily modified and has a carefully integrated cage with removable diagonals across the doors and rear seat, so the cage is not very intrusive unless those pieces are in place. I sent a RFQ (with pics of the car) to State Farm (where I have my modern stuff insured) and Hagerty (who insures several of my older cars) and both declined the car because of the cage as they considered it track equipped. I plan on talking to humans in the am to see if I can make sense out of this. I really have no plan to track the car, though all of my cars might get autoX'ed or see an occasional track day. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Hagerty insures my A/X car with a 6 point cage. Of course if I destroy it in a track or autocross event there will be no coverage. If it gets stolen, falls off the trailer on the way to an event or gets smacked up in the parking lot or paddock they will provide coverage. Basically I have it insured for the liability so I will have coverage if something should happen to somebody else or their car.

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

Thanks. That's helpful. My guess is that they did not want to send out an internet quote without getting more info on the car and how it will be used, and that NO was just a starting point. I will report back.

Not to sure on what to say, if you can't insure it will this keep you from buying the car?
I am not in the habit of buying cars I can't drive. That said, after talking with the insurance humans today, I do not think it will be a problem

Not to sure on what to say, if you can't insure it will this keep you from buying the car?
I am not in the habit of buying cars I can't drive. That said, after talking with the insurance humans today, I do not think it will be a problem

Photos of said car? Deal done? Congrats.

Photos of said car? Deal done? Congrats.

Plan on closing it up on Wed. (after the storm, you can relate to that). Pics to follow when it arrives. I am very excited as I have been 02less for a while.