• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 ES airdam

Pancake

Ok, first off let me say hi (1st post). I'm new to 02s, though somehow I managed to get 3 of them in the last 8 months (two 73s and a 76). Before that I lived in E30 land for about the last 5 years, and before that was Japanese sports cars.

Has anybody tried mounting the front airdam of a 325es on a square taillight/diving board bumper 02? Also, while I'm asking E30 related questions, anybody tried retrofitting the front 4-piston calipers off a FC (2nd gen RX7) to an 02? I know they can be made to work on (and are a big upgrade for) six cyl E30s.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

It might be possible to mount the air dam. I know that E30 dams have been used on E21's with some mods. Maybe you've come across a new mod for squaries!

Regarding brakes, the normal budget update is E21 discs and Volvo 240 calipers. Haven't seen any other swaps done, although someone else might chime in.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I think there is only one 'es' airdam. They changed the airdam style when they went to plastic bumpers, but that is also when the dropped the ETAs. It looks like this...

477a.jpg

With stock late model US diving boards, the air dam comes up to about half way on the front bumper. I've actually got one in a garage and will try to fit it to demonstrate. The biggest issue is that the bracket was designed to fit on a E30 front valence, which is a very different shape than an 02.

73 Sahara

01 540i-6

Here is an incredibly rough mockup using the beatup spare I have in my garage on the ratty 76 (sorry for the bad camera phone picutres)

right.jpg

left.jpg

front.jpg

The diving boards hide the difference in shape pretty well between the boat nose of the 02 and the flat nose on the E30. It also creates a really nice pocket for an oil cooler or intercooler. Opinions?

73 Sahara

01 540i-6