• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time today that my turbo 02 failed to me...

PatAllen

Today its the first time in 8 years that my turbo 02 is down...but not for very long !!!

While i was driving it suddenly started to run real rough. Like very bad missfire.

I looked at my a/f gage and it was showing hell rich. Fuel pump was running lilke crap.

so i told myself " fuel pump needed"...but wait, it run rich ??...i turned down the knob on my SDS to lower the mixture a bit and it became to run fine most of the time.

Limped back to home and worked out the hoses at the tank to discover that there was no fuel back from the system !!

turned out to be the regulator that seemed pluged. replaced it with another one from my parts bins (this one is 3.5bar lol) and everything went back ok.

I am surprised, a regulator shouldnt fail like that, most of the time the spring cuts out or the diaphragm get out letting all the presure go down...not the opposite !!

i am happy at least, it was nothing blown into the engine itself.

Surprisingly enough, swaping my old 3.0bar to this 3.5bar revealed few hidden horses from the butt-o-meter. I unscrewed the boost regulator a bit since there is a bit more fuel, now it reads 17-18 psi most of the time...

that things seriously kick ass even in third. gota love it.

rear tires needs vacation. poor 205's they dont hold at all.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Hey Pat, How do you rate the SDS injection system? Would SDS be a good alternate to a megasquirt for a non turbo engine?

well, i am biased because i only ran SDS...all i can say is that they are great. Probably a bit limited compared to all the functions of a megasquirt since the tune is made via a lcd screen with 2x20 characters wide.

Simple to use and very easy to tune. I have mine since year 2002 and never broke up.

Service is awesome, the tech guys are always there and very responsive.

I installed one recently on a Lotus super seven. Took me 1 hour to tune. The guy eat every one on the track at Mecaglise in Montreal. He passed over a new M6 he told me. Couldnt be hapier.

His previous tech messed up many many hours on a dyno to try to tune the original ecu (nissan ca18det), he spend a lot of money to have it fixed (ran poor idle, missed, stall,...) and never ever he told me that his car ran that smooth now that he has the SDS.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Guest Anonymous
turned out to be the regulator that seemed pluged. replaced it with another one from my parts bins (this one is 3.5bar lol) and everything went back ok. I am surprised, a regulator shouldn't fail like that, most of the time the spring cuts out or the diaphragm get out letting all the pressure go down...not the opposite !!

Exactly what type of regulator are you using? The bosch style used with other FI cars that has a 10mm nut and bolt adjustment? I ask because I have found using this regulator on 2 different injected cars that the pressures vary even with new units. I run in line pressure gauges on both so that (assuming the gauges are accurate) I can readjust the regulator as needed. There have been a couple of time where poor running made me end up adjusting things.

good luck

the bosh one that bolts to the fuel rail...

actualy the one i have on the car is from a corrado G60 with a 3.5bar marking on it.

stock 318 is 2.5bar iirc and a 325 e30 is 3.0 bar.

there is a method also to modofy this regulator, it involve using a guage, compressaid air and a vise and to compress the head of the regulator so it compress the spring a bit more. You can make easely a 4.0bar reg. if you want ;)

C300024449BOS.JPG

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp