• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 wire wiper motor

CornDog

All the wiring diagrams show 4 wire, but I know it's got 5, It has 2 speed motor, so you have 3 wires for that, ground, high & low wires, or common 12 V & high & low ground return. It also has a switch to cut off the wiper motor when it returns to rest position, that is internally wired into the motor somehow. Use a DVM & unplug the harness to the motor, measure for continuity to ground, one of the 5 wires, black likely is ground, I think Brown is 12 V.

2002 owner since 1980

...black likely is ground, I think Brown is 12 V.

NO. ALL brown wires on BMWs are ground.

The rest can be seen on the Wiring diagram.

Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

ok I have it figured out except how the park works. You are correct that brown is the ground.

just wondering if anyone can explain how the motor parks itself.

the 2 wires I have yet to figure out are the Brown/red stripe and black. I think these have to operate the park, but how?