• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have BMW magazine February 2002?

Patrick,

The most recent edition of BIMMER Magazine has a market survey/buyer's guide with 2002's in it, too.

As a matter of fact, Matt McGinn, an fellow FAQer, is quoted in the article about the restoration business and the increase in prices for 2002s.

Maybe, Matt would be a great source of information for you, too, since he basically builds '02s by hand.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

I've just run through the magazine, and there isn't really an article that highlights value, other than the last paragraph of a Bob Roemer piece, which is mostly the same historical explaination we've all heard a million times:

"Between 1968-1977, BMW built 825,000 '02s; approximately 80,000 were sold in the United States. Rather than fade away, its cult-car status is firmly intact in the 21st Century. Fortune magazine's July 2001 cover story included the 2002 as one of the "10 Places to Put $10,000" because "the car is getting cooler even as it ages."

So now you need to the July 2001 Fortune. If you want to borrow the BMW magazine, email me your address and I'll mail it. I would like it back, though...

Also have you looked at 2002AD's cars for sale page? It has some seriously high prices listed, and if you keep going down the page, cars that have been sold still have the prices listed:

http://www.2002ad.com/pages/carsforsale.cfm

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Yeah,seriously man, remember the cars HAVE appreciated significantly in the last 6 years. I loved the link posted here several weeks ago to the NADA (or some other well known) classic car value list...Their 2002 values were over the top inflated! Great ammo for litigation.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Guest Anonymous

I went through this a few years ago when my E30 M3 was totaled.

Initial offer $3,600.

Asking prices alone won't sway them. You need sold prices. And at least a few from your area.

I used ebay's completed listings search and also called a few people who had sold cars through other sites. M3 owners, like 02 owners, are a pretty good bunch. A couple guys confirmed the sale price of their cars in writing.

The sale prices need to back up the listing prices. Don't bother including anything that falls out of the normal range. Get a solid 10-12 comparable cars that are in the value range you are looking for and at least 1/2 if not more should be confirmed sales prices

It ended up going to court, but in the end they wrote me a check for $14,000.

The engine is now in Blunt's 02.