• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TEP 5sp crossmember?

robsanab

wondering if anyone has used this one in particular?

I'm familiar with the other options. But I noticed the TEP mount picture and it is different from the others... looks like it bolts up to the existing mounts as well as tabs in the new location. But does it work? any issues with it? Their price is only a few bucks higher than the others.

http://www.racetep.com/5speed.html

Seems to solve all the issues various people have issues with... like the longevity of a cantilever design and the integrity and look of just bolting new tabs to the floor.

getting ready to buy... finally!!

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Hmmmmrmph.....

Their blurb says that every driveshaft must be custom cut....so i'm guessing every 320i trans is different length? Or every 2002 has different subframe geometry after 30 years of use? How strange.....I've installed plenty of (4 speed) driveshafts - and BMW / aftermarket rebuilders only stock ONE part number for them....never a problem.

...this sets off my BS detector in a big way.

If the standard 5 speed conversion (std size) driveshaft doesn't fit...you got bigger problems - and your old driveshaft would already be chewing up your existing drivetrain something fierce!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

let's stay on task now... I'm asking about the crossmember.

(as an aside- "BS" may be a little harsh... you'd have to admit that alignment vertically and horizontally is pretty critical... they probably just don't want to be responsible for those rare occasions when a car is off due to rear end suspension issues or whatever. Whether they want to sell a shortened driveshaft or not is their prerogative... and obviously their opinion since I think only one other crossmember supplier has the same concern. It is a mass marketed kit made to fit 35 year old cars in various conditions... and most of us do-it-yourselfers just want a strictly bolt-in kit... many may not notice (or know what to look for) if the driveline is too tight and that it can be made up in other ways. I don't know! Hell, why am I defending them? I don't care... i was just thinking about getting their crossmember is all)

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)