• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slightly OT, M20 Fan clutch life: OEM Vs. factory

DanOKC

I've only had maybe 5 years out of this fan clutch before it needs to be replaced again, I think it was a sachs brand, but it came from my local OEM

import parts place. Is a new one from the dealer gonna last longer ?

2002 owner since 1980

Sorry CD I gotta say that fan clutches don't usually last past 5-7 years....

How did this one fail? Did it stop locking up when hot or go to full lock all the time or did the bearing start to come loose? I don't usually have any problem with the Sachs, Behr or dealer Fan Clutches. The OEM ones are exactly that "Original Equipment Manufacturer" The dealer ones are either Sachs or Behr depending on application. When we purchace them through the aftermarket the BMW Roundel is scratched off of the sticker....

If it's warm out and the car is at operating temp and has been idling for about 10 minutes if I can still stop the fan with my bare hand then it is failing to lock up and is toast.

If it sounds like the fan is roaring all the time cold or hot then it is locked up and is toast...

If one can grab the fan blade and wiggle the clutch back and forth more than 1/32" then the bearing is loose...

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

....." Sorry CD I gotta say that fan clutches don't usually last past 5-7 years.... "

must be yer climate ? extra mud, flames, shaking ground,

too much sunshine ?

Over here in CT., and during my 20 years 'on the line'

with M-B, and 'on the line' with BMW an additional 17 years,

that's the life span I've experienced.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

How it failed: Stop locking up when hot, I just got one local (sachs again) for 87.00 list 145.00, If I remember the dealer said 170 or 170 something. I think it was only about $50 or $60 last time, maybe 5 to 6 years ago. If I still have the car in 5 years & it does it again, I'll probably install electric fan & wire it off a t stat, by then it will be another $20 more for the fan clutch. This is on a low revving 528e too, screw on type. I might dissect the old one just for fun, I'm curious if it lost it's fluid or if the spring/clutch mech inside wore out.

2002 owner since 1980