• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tom's Stealthy Schwarz Build

oz_tom

Tom's Stealthy Schwarz Build

As many of you know, I recently restored my ’74 2002 on a tight budget to a nice daily driver standard. See Here . I was happy with the car after the resto and simply wanted to improve it slowly over the next few years and eventually turbocharge it. Unfortunatly, about 7 months after the car was on the road, a nice lady decided to re-arrange my rear bumper and tail panel, subsequently writing off the car (totalled) – This was largly thanks to BMW Australia’s pricing policy for parts. I was pretty shattered after this occured, but luckily im insured well and I walked away with nothing more than mild whiplash (and some annoying headaches).

Insurance has finally paid out for a total loss and this blog is now going to document the damage repair and future mods to the car including turbo and conversion to Megasquirt EFI using EDIS among other things. The aim is to keep the car looking fairly stock and for it to be a bit of a ‘sleeper’ – no bodykit or spoilers, just plain simple ‘02 goodness. The only modifications visable from the outside will be a drop in ride height and the use of 15” Alpinas.

Now for the pics… because everyone likes pics. Originally I got the car on the road using e21 turbines because they were the only wheels that had roadworthy tires on them. I changed to 14” Superlites briefly before finding some 15x7” all round Alpinas. All of these wheels don’t really have the right offset for the 02 and even with no fender lip, im still getting some rubbing. Needless to say, bodywork ahead - The car will fit around the Alpinas. Worse case scenario ill move to 16” Alpinas (hey, its not really that bad of a scenario!)

DSCN2372.jpg

DSCN2427.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

DSCN2850.jpg

DSCN2854.jpg

DSCN2855.jpg

DSCN2902.jpg

Ive got parts on the way from cj and Ireland Eng. so updates will come soon. Looking forward to this build!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good work mate, good to see the thing being brought back.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

man, I can't believe that damage totaled it! I take it you're replacing the whole rear tail section?

Neither can I - no creases over the wheels either! Ill see how the tail panel is when i take off the bumper. Ill probably just use a block of wood, a hammer and my spare red (i know LOL!) short rear bumper to get the car registered and RW again THEN take it to my body guy to fix it properly (whether thats a new tail panel or not, i dont know yet)

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I'd like to see any car running 400psi, let alone an 02!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Todd (TMK001) and i orderd some parts from IE and they arrived today. Heres my lot:

Polished aluminium radiator (do not try and send this international - its expensive!)

22/22 Sway bars & bushings

Front end bushings

Urethane motor mounts

Crank windage tray

Oil pan baffle

DSCN2941.jpg

DSCN2940.jpg

DSCN2939.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

lol me too. Bing Bong, pics of your car on the road need to be posted in your blog stat!

yes these are needed but there are none good enough, maybe I will get some this weekend. That sump baffle looks more like a crank scraper, when i get the pics of my CUSTOM sump baffle, they shall be posted.

lol me too. Bing Bong, pics of your car on the road need to be posted in your blog stat!

yes these are needed but there are none good enough, maybe I will get some this weekend. That sump baffle looks more like a crank scraper, when i get the pics of my CUSTOM sump baffle, they shall be posted.

That is a crank scraper... the baffle is to the right of the scraper :-P

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge update - parts have been trickling in.

Picked up an early 320i manifold from the local pick and pull which will be adapted to take regular injectors. Not sure what way to go yet with the fuel rail or throttle body, but after reading through old posts im thinking m20 e34 525i Auto with TPS for MS and just making up my own fuel rail. Any other ideas for a 60ish mm throttle body?

Thanks to Kris - shortend shifter platform for 5 speed, shortend shift linkage and an Ireland Eng. short shifter. Once i have Jakes 5 speed bracket im pretty much there for the 5 speed install.

I also picked up an e30 323i fuel pump and sender. Its the lower pressure pump so im going to simply use it as a lifter pump to feed a surge tank. Will need to extend the pickup too.

Finally, the e21 5 speed i picked up a while back. Also got the tailshaft with it.

DSCN2957.jpg

DSCN2953.jpg

DSCN2952.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

DSCN2958.jpg

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky