• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

historical plates

Guest Anonymous

For WA, it is a one time fee, i paid $50 for a Collector plate fee and don't need a front plate. No renewal fee and no emissions testing.

Here's the particulars:

Collector vehicles must be:

-at least 30 years old.

-owned and operated as collector vehicles.

-capable of operating on the highway.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

-to and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.

-for testing purposes.

-for the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

-commercial purposes or to carry a load.

-regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

Need to wait 10 more years for my e28.

YMMV

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

As far as I know, thare are no restrictions in Florida about driving a car with antique plates on a daily basis. The restrictions come from the Antique Insurance companies on parking locations (must be garaged), amount of miles driven per year and drive only to parades or shows.

I think that if you get regular insurance there are no restrictions.

RoyG 74tii in Miami Springs, FL

I don't know if VA has chimed in but we have restrictions. To and from events, no further than 250 miles from home, blah blah blah. You can drive the car around for test driving etc. Basically drive her when I want, if stopped, it's a test drive or going to an event. What do they know, besides it's my car and the last time I checked this was still America.

As mentioned above, certain types of plates allow testing at any time, despite the classification. Actually, it was the lady at the Secty of States office who said just tell them you're road testing it. On the flip side, my friend the cop said he'd only stop you if he ran the tag and it wasn't registered properly. Otherwise, they have better things to do. Ebay has loads of old plates, like my 76 plates that cost $5.

post-3947-13667588059268_thumb.jpg

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

gelf74:

I dug out a single Ohio 1970 plate from the basement collection. # MF 455. Everybody will think you dropped a Ram Air W-30 Oldsmobile powerplant in it... or not. It's an "OSU" plate with scarlet on gray. It's got some minor rust and some edge rippling-- You could likely touch it up.

Send me an email off-line with your address and I'll send it out.

john.blake@fuse.net

I will be running this Arizona plate on the front of the 1976 until the cops tell me otherwise. I am told it was originally registered in 76, and it looks like the plate outlasted the original car. I already have this car registered with a Classic Car plate, and that tends to buy me a little leeway with the Man.

ceylonmar08.jpg

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002