• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New gas station pumps and 02s don't seem to mix

richdnyc

I was at a Chevron in California the other day and I couldn't get the filler nozzle into the gas tank opening of my 02. Unlike most accordion style fuel vapor covers, which are annoying enough since they force you to hold the nozzle the whole time the pump is on, and even then you can never tell when the tank is full, resulting in gas overflowing all over the quarter panel, this one had a very short rigid cover over a short nozzle that made it impossible to get it in the tank. Anyone else had this problem? If this is the wave of the future we've got bigger problems than $4.00 gas...

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

Check this out. I went to school last week with this guys kid. He was showing us what his dad had for motorcycles. I tried to get one from him to see if it would work for us. Its $20 and may work. Watch the video on it.

http://www.mccuff.com/

Hi Rich,

After so many years, it is still an art to pumping gas in California.

Each station is slightly different, and even then they might "upgrade" their nozzles from time to time making you search for that sweet spot again.

That is the trick. You have to find the right angle and then depth to get the gas to go into the tank and not all over the car. I have it down as far as my foot positions and hand positions on the nozzle. Perhaps we should shoot a "Fuel Fill-up" instructional video the next time you are here?

Also, check the conditionof the filler boot INSIDE the trunk. I have heard of many people that pump gas INSIDE their trunk.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Ha! Steve, I couldn't say it better. Having lived out here in Cali for 15 years, I have acquired the following stance when filling my '02. Bend over, insert the nozzle 3/4 of the way in, turn it 30 degrees counter clockwise while maintaining downwards pressure. At this point, my right hip rests on the back quarter panel and I sit there gazing off the back of my car like a loon. Never found a 'cool' way to do it. And once in a while I have to hold the &*%$#@# (gas-recovery device) back with my left hand. Contortionists never had it this good!

'73 2002 Tii

'72 3.0 S

'72 3.0 CS (3.5)

'11 X5 35d

There is a shell gas station that has a perfect nozzel for my car. And they other day found a 76 that has the long old style nozzel. It it perfect as well. I also live in Ca. and Chevron has the worst nozzels but the best fuel.

this problem seems to have gotten worse. Has anyone tried this McCuff thing? I watched the video. It looks like only 1 1/2" of nozzle goes in the filler tube, but it might work

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

steve j--i'll be more than happy to shoot you demonstrating your technique for the movie next time i'm in town, and will happily grant you a special "petroleum transfer consultant" credit if you can get that aforementioned !@#$% chevron nozzle to work!

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

this problem seems to have gotten worse. Has anyone tried this McCuff thing? I watched the video. It looks like only 1 1/2" of nozzle goes in the filler tube, but it might work

I may opder one up in the next couple of weeks.

Some days you just can't get it to line up.

Definitely a practiced art, that you can not walk away from.

The worst part is getting back into your 02,

realizing that you forgot to wash your windshield.

Hey Rich, how is the editing going ?

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

What works for me,... squat down next to your fill hole. (yeh, yeah i said fill hole) pull the accordion thingy on the gas wand back with your left hand exposing the dispenser nozzell and then use your right hand to operate the nozzell to fill your tank. As long as the accordion is "RETRACTED" gas will dispense out of the stupid CA vapor recovery, fuel filler neck device, waste of money, thing; that dont work on our lovely 02's.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

Just to make you feel a bit better, the gas in the UK costs ~£1.10 a litre so thats over $8 a gallon.

The nozzles over here seem to be pretty standardised though and I have no problems filling the 02. I'm still struggling to look cool whilst filling though! I'm over 6 ft and the car is lowered a little so I've developed a 'gangster' lean hybrid stance.