• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a picture of a 74+ car without the black trim?

74tiiGolf

Sure...

Here's the standard for rebuilding your '74tii:

stella_july2007_r.jpg

Keith Kreeger's '74tii.

Regarding the aesthetics of removing the trim, it's highly subjective, particularly on a light-colored (including Golf) cars.

If you're going to leave the big bumpers on it, removing the side trim will make your car look slab-sided and chunky. IMO, leave it on.

If you're going to refit the Euro-bumpers from a '73-'76 to it, the lower trim will provide a (nearly) continuous dark line around the car. The visual effect will make the car look a bit longer and lower. Note* Keith's dark red car has the lower trim removed in this manner and it looks nice. Be mindful that on a Golf yellow car the dark line connecting the front/rear will enhance that vast expanse of bright yellow on the rear quarter and door.

If you are determined to remove the lower side trim and are going to change the bumpers to chrome versions...consider using the all-chrome "shortie" pre-mid '71 front and rear units on early brackets.

Just my $.02

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I was just going through my BMW stuff (smells like Jade East) from when I bought my car in 1973. One of the items in the "Dealer Accessory" booklet was the lower black trim. The caption on the picture said it can make your "older" '02 look like a new model. Funny how tastes change back and forth. One day soon I'm sure I'll be wearing those bell-bottoms and Earth shoes I've saved all these years and be "in" again.(or finally?) Bleeding madras anyone?

93763862.iX6fTnpu.jpg

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

...on a Golf yellow car the dark line connecting the front/rear will enhance that vast expanse of bright yellow on the rear quarter and door.

Delia

Totally what I needed. How MY car will look 'cause i could visualize it but wasn't sure it was gonna look right. Thank you! I think i'll leave it on because I'm probably gonna just have shortened big bumpers.

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant