• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Fan "Covering Cap" Question

chuckbrandt

I'm replacing my heater fan, mine barely turns by hand. I see why, the armature and brushes etc are all exposed to the weather. In this picture from mobile traditions I see there is a "Covering Cap" (#7) that is NLA. Does anyone have one of these that they could shoot me a picture of? Are they typically on cars? Mine didn't have one of course. Has anyone made an effective replacement?

Thanks, Chuck

31.png

BTW, here is a really good price on motor and fan, I didn't get mine there :(

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=9689+1580+4294966649+7515+1076&V=9689+1580+4294966649&Vh=1975%20BMW%202002

easily lost, as I've seen lots of '02s that didn't have 'em...but all were so equipped from the factory.

They just snap in place, so if you're unsuccessfuly in finding the proper one, I suspect you could make one out of a soft plastic spray can cap (like carburetor cleaner), a (don't laugh) cut down Dannon Yoghurt container or a small Tupperware container swiped from the kitchen.

But with all the dead heater boxes out there, someone's bound to have a spare...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

umbrella...just secure it so it won't fall off (the original one is just pressed in place) and you'll be OK. Plenty of cooling air will get in around it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I suspect you could make one out of a soft plastic spray can cap (like carburetor cleaner), a (don't laugh) cut down Dannon Yoghurt container or a small Tupperware container swiped from the kitchen.

But with all the dead heater boxes out there, someone's bound to have a spare...

mike

The MacGyver of 2002's. You are a genius when it comes to

the "workaround". like having an empty mylar wine bag in your

trunk for water. i admire that kind of thinking. what else you do

you keep in your trunk for emergencies?

i think you should start a FAQ about this kinda stuff.

(o=00=o)

I suspect you could make one out of a soft plastic spray can cap (like carburetor cleaner)

Seemed like a good idea to me too... I found out (the hard way) that if you use a cap like this, it hits the hood tie-down bar.

Heaterbox.jpg

I was pissed! It looked so cool too!

Just letting you guys know before you go tearing your boxes out.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog