• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catch Can update pic (nt)

ought2

Here's my homemade breather catch can made from a mini Coleman tank. It was a fun project and cost me about $10. I used a rubber step down fitting (3/4 to 3/8) to go from the valve cover to the can in order to use gas/oil resistant 3/8 hose. If anyone would like to see it mounted let me know. Comments?

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee143/ought2/?action=view&current=HPIM1940.jpg

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

seems to big. I got one from summit and it was so large I send it back (nearly a quart in size). I am looking to find/make a can around 14-18 oz capacity, still no luck as of yet.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

The dimensions of the tank are only 3.5" by 7". I should have placed something in the picture to show scale. This is the very small tank used in camp stoves and portable grills. I have a '73 with what appear to be 2 factory holes in the engine bay right next to the washer bottle. I made the clamp from aluminum stock to fit the holes. It fits very nicely and with the dark green finish on the tank, it has an industrial, purposeful look. I'll try to get a picture posted later today.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

It is the propane tank. It has a needle valve that I stuck a crochet needle in to hold it open so I didn't have to stand there and breathe the gas... It took a while for the hissing to stop. Then I drilled the center valve out, tapped it as well as the inlet and the drain valve - all

1/2" threads. The plastic cap from the bottom is now glued to the top to give it a more finished look.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Pretty cool. I make mine out of aluminum AC cannisters. They all ready have multiple tapings to tie into and come with mounting brackets. You just have to cut them in half to dump out the pellets that are inside, and put them back together with some Marine-tex. Just as a side note, all catch cans are required to be at least one quart in capacity for SCCA events. Thats why you see so many people with old oil quart containers with a hose jammed into the top.

(nt)The bracket is just a piece of aluminum I had but I've seen the same thing at Lowe's or Home Depot. I just rolled it around the tank by hand and used a piece of plywood with the correct mounting hole distance predrilled to create a mock up. The bracket wings were easy to shape in a padded vise. 4 ought steel wool and aluminum polish give it a chrome-like appearance. Here's a picture of it mounted in my car. You'll notice the fasteners are not tightened up as I need to get out and pick up some stainless.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

My car has the Weber with KN filter. The air cleaner inlet was simply crimped by the PO. I bought one of the plates from the FAQ store to give it a cleaner look. It's well made and is only $20.

SiteNamecopy.jpg