• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attn: KFunk, take a look at this guibo.

Guest Anonymous

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/tomfoolery30cs/urethaneguibo.jpg

Noticed this picture and cannot tell you who makes them, but this may be the answer to your prayers. Assuming its not the issue of you torquing the nut or bolt head that actually mates with guibo (no washer).

Yeah I know its not eight bolts, but I am still in Kansas.

Wow Enrique, that does look nice. We need to get someone to build an 8-bolt one!

I've already got 2 OEM guibos coming from AutohausAZ, and will have to put one in the car to get it to Dayton on Saturday. I'll make every effort to do it right at that time to make it last. But if I can find one like this instead, then I'd gladly swap it in at a later time just to eliminate any worries for the future!

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

We need to get someone to build an 8-bolt one!

Agreed. I'm thinking these will hold up better from occasional hard launches, but miss-alignment they will only put off the inevitable a little longer.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

very nice...

but, imagine just one second if the driveshaft is not aligned properly...

the amount of vibration could be freaking destructive...there is no place to have easy flex with this guibo, one of the main reason why they changed the design from 8 bolts to 6 bolt. More meat to flex.

just my share with this.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

very nice...

but, imagine just one second if the driveshaft is not aligned properly...

the amount of vibration could be freaking destructive...there is no place to have easy flex with this guibo, one of the main reason why they changed the design from 8 bolts to 6 bolt. More meat to flex.

just my share with this.

Pat is right...the best trick guibo in the world won't do you any good if the driveshaft is not aligned properly.

If you are chewing guibos something is off. Period.

In my race car with well over 200 HP I had a guibo fail in 1 weekend when the tranny mount failed....if everything is good it will last forever.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to butt in here, but I read the previous posts leading up to this one and it is not certain if Kfunk keeps breaking Guibos because of an alignment problem, incorrect guibo installation (torquing wrong side of fastener) or defective or poorly constructed flex drives. But even if everything were perfect - Guibos do not last forever. (Although I have a 14 year old one on an E-9!)

I have had a driveshaft split on me after a bad launch (detroit iron not 02) and I have had a clutch shatter a bellhousing too, so a polyurethane coupling got my attention.

I agree that under normal circumstances a different coupling is hardly warranted. I also suspect that if everyone were perfectly smooth with their shifts, syncronizers would never wear out and clutches would last a whole lot longer. But, if something is going to be exposed to more than normal abuse, I hardly see the harm in a more robust product. The guibo has got to be one of the weakest links in the drive, but I would prefer to compare it to a fuse versus a circuit breaker. One you have to replace the other you have to reset.

Oh, and I don't disagree with you or Pat about lining everything straight - even with trick stuff. Nor do I disagree with the transmission getting "beat up" because of a bad guibo. But a thrashed transmission isn't going to "feel any better" because of a more robust red guibo, otherwise, BMW would have stuck with the solid rubber versus the improved multi-ply versions they changed to in later models. It is interesting that even in the multi-ply versions (6 bolt) many of them were equipped with a metal surround that presumably offered some additional safety and/or protected the guibo. I believe I saw that on a 76 auto and a 530i.

Just my humble opinion.

My principal argument was only NVH related, not break anything or something else if its not the guibo itself that self destruct.

btw, i do drive my 02 mad, with 250hp+ and replaced the guibo 1 time in 8 years.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Guest Anonymous

Eight years? Are you still using the eight 8 bolt guibo with all of that power? Or are you using the 6 bolt version?

Hope you noticed that the pictured red guibo was designed for the Merkur. Any idea about the interchangability with the 6 bolt used with many 5 speed swaps?

Thanks.

thats interesting, i may look how close it can fit, i do have 2 Merkur transmission laying somewhere in my garage, it looks very close !!

I do run the 6 bolt one on my 02, i do have a 5 speed od from a 81' 320i.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp