• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q. Brake Bleeding - w/new master and big front brake upgrade

lsixt

I've read many posts and archives about brake bleading and frankly have uncovered many solutions ranging from bench bleeding the MC off the car and or on the car, from starting with the longest brake line (right rear) to starting from the shortest (left front).... and so on.

Many of us have upgraded only our front brakes to larger rotors and calipers and kept the stock 2002 MC without issue. Others are using either a Tii MC or some other model MC (5 series fits, so I hear)...

I don't think what I have is much different from many of you, which is stock rear brakes, upgraded front brakes, and stock 2002 MC. The MC is new and it WAS NOT bench bled before installing (which some say is OK - and others say NO WAY).

I read somewhere that if you pressure bleed, that you don't really need to bench the MC. If this is true and one still has a really soft pedal (goes to the floor with little braking at all), the the MC is bad - even if it's new? Seems odd to me, but that's my situation and I'm having a hard time trying to determine if it's the MC or just air somewhere in the system.

My question specifically is: if one puts in a new MC and uses a pressure bleeder, is it necessary to bench bleed the MC first?

If the answer is no, pressure bleeding will take care of the MC, then what is the best procedure to insure you have all the air out of the MC and your lines?

No leaks anywhere. That's been confirmed.

Thanks,

Len

..........."then what is the best procedure to insure you have all the air out of the MC and your lines?"

'BENCH' hand bleed the new master cylinder in your hand BEFORE

installation

Pressure bleed the entire system incl. clutch many times/circuits - till any/all tiny bubbles are gone.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I just removed every brake component on my 2002, in order to install rear Massive brakes, reinstall the front Massive, I rerouted some hardlines and installed a prop valve. Let's say that the system was completely open to air. I simply poured braking fluid in thye reservoir and opened each corner's bleeder, while pumping the brake pedal to bleed it. I did all four corners, slowly but surely. I let the fluid drip in a bucket, wasting some of it. I did two rounds like that. Voilà. Pedal is firm.

Rear_02_Superlite_1.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.