• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 modification questions

lobf

I'm in California, and have a '76 that I was going to put new suspension/dual webers/new cam on. Then smog laws changed, and I'm stuck with my 90+ hp engine because the webers won't pass smog.

My question is this: what can I do to make this car faster? Should I try and put a 318 motor in it? I really don't know what my options are. The historical plates idea is interesting, but this is my primary car, and I drive it everywhere, so I don't want to worry about tickets all the time.

So I leave it to you all. What would you do in my position?

I'm in California, and have a '76 that I was going to put new suspension/dual webers/new cam on. Then smog laws changed, and I'm stuck with my 90+ hp engine because the webers won't pass smog.

My question is this: what can I do to make this car faster? Should I try and put a 318 motor in it? I really don't know what my options are. The historical plates idea is interesting, but this is my primary car, and I drive it everywhere, so I don't want to worry about tickets all the time.

So I leave it to you all. What would you do in my position?

Im in your boat, Bro. I also have a good running 76. I removed all the smog equipment enticipating the 30 year rolling exemption. Then the Governator stepping in and crashed the party. I dont want to sell my car. I think eventually I will do an M20 engine swap from an late 80s 325i. This will give your 02 a modern engine that will comply with emmissions for years to come. Plus it has horsepower and torque ratings in the 160s. You can also purchase a 74 or 75 shell and swap vin #'s. Im thinking about doing this too. Illegal? Yes. But I have no plans of selling my 02 so it might be ok. Others will chime in with their opinions. This is a very popular question concidering there are so many good running 76 cars in California. Good luck!

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Heh, sorry dude. This car is almost rust-free and in perfect mechanical condition.

Any other suggestions? :P[/i]

I could up the anti to a 1974 pretty much rust free .. needs exhaust and has a wee knock in the engine (probably just the timing chain)

e30 318i m10 with all the Motronics and a cat is'nt such a bad way to go. You'll then be able to get a e.o. number from a referee station. I did a similar thing with my brothers '75 before they rolled the years to include '75.

BTW, the Motronic system will support a 2.0l pretty well. Just keep it on the down low during the referee inspection. Your HC/CO numbers will still be well within specs.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Some other ideas...

I'm actually pretty sure you can get a dual-weber equipped car to pass emissions from the exhaust output part of the test (by tweaking your mixture/timing some), but where you'll likely get caught is by the mechanical equipment/inspections side of the test - due to the lack of the proper 1976 emissions equipment they're checking for. I don't know how it works in CA, but that's how it works here in CO.

With dual 40 DCOEs, and MSD Ignition w/Pertronix, a 292 Schrick and headers here's some data from my last CO emissions test (I also have a '76 2002):

HC PPM = 185.2 @ 2500rpm, 370.5 @ idle ..... (Pass Limit was 600PPM)

CO% = 0.50 @ 2500rpm, 1.55 @ idle ..... (Pass Limit was 3.50%)

CO2% = 14.3 @ 2500rpm, 13.7 @ idle ..... (No Pass Limit listed)

Idle = 933rpm ..... (Pass Limit was 1350rpm)

I've seen folks get a bung welded into their headers to run the air injection pump to pass the mechanical equipment part, even though it's kinda costly. They then disconnect it after the test, putting a cap over the bung and removing the air pump set-up until 'next test'. Hey, just thinking there MIGHT be some other alternative to 'keepin' it stock' or 'swappin' the motor'.

BTW, I'm curious as to what the exhaust analysis part of the test checks for there in CA, and what the Pass limits/levels are for those emissions outputs?

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Some other ideas...

I'm actually pretty sure you can get a dual-weber equipped car to pass emissions from the exhaust output part of the test (by tweaking your mixture/timing some), but where you'll likely get caught is by the mechanical equipment/inspections side of the test - due to the lack of the proper 1976 emissions equipment they're checking for. I don't know how it works in CA, but that's how it works here in CO.

With dual 40 DCOEs, and MSD Ignition w/Pertronix, a 292 Schrick and headers here's some data from my last CO emissions test (I also have a '76 2002):

HC PPM = 185.2 @ 2500rpm, 370.5 @ idle ..... (Pass Limit was 600PPM)

CO% = 0.50 @ 2500rpm, 1.55 @ idle ..... (Pass Limit was 3.50%)

CO2% = 14.3 @ 2500rpm, 13.7 @ idle ..... (No Pass Limit listed)

Idle = 933rpm ..... (Pass Limit was 1350rpm)

I've seen folks get a bung welded into their headers to run the air injection pump to pass the mechanical equipment part, even though it's kinda costly. They then disconnect it after the test, putting a cap over the bung and removing the air pump set-up until 'next test'. Hey, just thinking there MIGHT be some other alternative to 'keepin' it stock' or 'swappin' the motor'.

BTW, I'm curious as to what the exhaust analysis part of the test checks for there in CA, and what the Pass limits/levels are for those emissions outputs?

HTH,

Tom

Not sure what the pass levels are, but, that will never work here in California. Because before the sniffer test your car must pass a visual inspection to make sure all emissions hardware is in place. If its missing any part of the emissions equipment the test is over. You lose! Dual Webers is a no-no here for emissions. :(

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Guest Anonymous

Would it be possible to register it to a friend or relative in another state which has no such laws?

Here in Louisiana I just had an inspection sticker placed on a beater with a hole the size of the moon in the muffler and one headlight. The sticker was placed over a foot long crack in the windshield.

It's just a formality here.

Guest Anonymous
Some other ideas...

HTH,

Tom

is that the first part of the check is a visual inspection, and ANY deviation from acceptable specs will fail the car - even something as simple as a disconnected pre-heater hose to the air cleaner or a missing fuel filler neck unleaded fuel restrictor. If it doesn't pass visual, it won't matter if it has lower emissions numbers that a new Prius, since it'll never get on the dyno.

Probably the best bet for passing CA emissions with a '76 is to swap in a later engine - E21 or E30 injected M10, or an M20 or M3 S14. As posted elsewhere, the car will have to get past the "smog referee" program to do so - for anyone considering taking this route, it's not a bad idea to make an appointment with the local referee and discuss what you want to do BEFORE you start work on the car so you'll know exactly what will be required in your specific case to get the passed when you're done.