• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

this is what it takes to color match polaris

dubois

First, find a spot in your car that has not faded or been repainted

Second, just for kicks try the computer formula for polaris code (which gets you in the ball park)

Third, make a decision wether to tint or to find a "variance"

Well, after a couple hours in the sun and going thru about 1000 silvers, finally found one that matches the face, flop, metallic size, intensity and color. It is never perfect, but this is a good polaris. Next step is to actually do a sprayout to see if the actual is the same as the variance coupon. It is never easy!

A couple things I noticed:

The metallic flake is really fine

The flop side does not change

It has a hint of yellow and gray - rather than the blue hues that you get from the formula

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

FAQ Member # 91

I got the painter to use the PPG formula for Polaris Neu 060 metallic.

After much deliberation, he did. The paint is everything that you describe - yellow hues, fine metallic... they tried their hardest to get me to jazz it up with a deeper metallic, but I wasnt having a bar of it.

IMG_2988.jpg

A local bloke has an original Polaris car in his drive and I popped over to see the paint color - I am happy with my color and how similar it is.

You are painting the whole car yeah? Just trust the formula if there is no blend to be done.

toddsig05.jpg

If you're a REAL purist....you'll make sure it fades to flat battleship gray in 4 years (as REAL "Polaris I" SHOULD) or cracks and peels (as did "Polaris Neu / PVC Frei")

Just ribbin' ya!

I actually requested a bit more red in my malaga - as I've seen too many that end up on the "brown" side of eggplant. A brown sportscar would just naturally DIE from embarassment...unless it's a sleeper with an S14 under the hood!

Paul

post-2748-1366757734388_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Paul,

Your 'Emily' has always been the inspiration for my 72 02 project that is on its way after a long wait.

My car is now in the shop, hopefully ready for paint in about 3 weeks or so. I think your color turned out perfect. Is your single stage or 2 stage? If 2 did the clear affect the tone of the base much? I have heard of many yellow tone clears. Congrats on that beauty.

Can't wait to see that Polaris roundie once its finished.

My car before being stripped, hoping to one day look like Emily.

2002-grill.jpg

to the conversation.

When I was having the Touring resprayed in Colorado, it too looked to muddy.

My painter who was really on his toes, caught the color variance.

What he discovered with the paint company, their mixture formulas do not compensate for the lack of lead in them that the original formulas had in them.

He contacted the paint company, they redid the formula for Colorado, and we are happy with the color now.

May want to check that lead thing.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5