• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternative air filter housings for Weber 32/36

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am currently running a 32/36 Weber with a modified stock 1 bbl air filter. I modified it by cutting out the bottom to fit the weber's profile. Despite the filter's smaller size and weight, it is still too heavy for my taste.

Over the years, I have run a (1) sock filter, (2) the KN rectangle filter, (3) an ITN filter, (4) a lynx manifold (now sold by Edelbrock I think) and even (5) a 6cyl housing (cut in half and left open toward the firewall a la Nascar).

Because I have driven through heavy rain, I am not partial to the "open" or exposed element air filters. I also feel those are detrimental in the sense that they feed warmed air from the radiator into the intake. I am likewise not partial to the stock airfilter housing because it is heavy, clunky and - since it is metal, it tends to act as a heat sink and heat the air achieveing an effect not unlike the open filter housing.

I recall someone running the same carburettor on their Cortina and fitting it with a light silver aluminum housing from a chevy chevelle or a ford. I know this is "out there" but has anyone familiar with this "light" housing and where it may be found?

As an alternative, I noticed Pierce or Jegs or somesuch advertised a bowl that fit over the carb so that you could relocate the filter element elsewhere. Is/was t here a vehicle that offered something like that from the factory - that is "easily" adapted to the Weber and an 02?

Merci beaucoup.

Guest Anonymous

You read my post too fast. I mentioned Pierce. Thanks for the reply though and the picture. The question remains, aside from purchasing from Pierce, isnt there something else available that can be culled from another stock vehicle? I keep thinking I saw something used by Isuzu or Honda that was hard black plastic that could be reshaped with a little heat.

Also, I am interested in anyone's use of the all Aluminum housing used by Ford and/or GM mentioned in my original post.

Thnks

Guest Anonymous

- can't help with specifics. Several years ago, someone from this board adapted one to his '02. It took the same filter element used in the stock 2bbl '02 air-cleaner.

I tried to find one - hunted on eBay, searched and posted request on Ford online sites - no luck.

Besides the reasons you mentioned, an enclosed housing offers the option of running the breather line from the valve cover to the outside of the filter element instead of pumping oil vapor down the throat of the carb. I've done this with stock '02 housings - then added a small, coarse filter to trap oil. This method was standard procedure for US engines with carbs.

cleaner, it would be pretty easy to track it down via a Purolator or Fram interchange book. I've been using air cleaner cartridges meant for a Ford Mustang II, Maverick and some species of Fairmont in my 2 bbl air cleaner for many years; they fit just fine. If you want specifics, e-mail me and I'll look on one of my spares' boxes for exact fitment data.

I also seem to remember that Chevettes had a nice unpainted aluminum air cleaner housing that could be adapted to a 2002. And there's always the large stock 2 bbl 2002 housing--its weight is supported by brackets (not the carb) and there's plenty of filtering area plus a cold air intake. Been working for me since 1979 or so...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

70s/80s, Firebirds had filter assy under fender with flat or low profile rectangular hose to engine. With GM engine swap into Jaguar sedan, the engine bay was incredibly clean.

'68 2002,' 68 1600, '73 2002, '76 2002, '87 325is

'85 535, '89 525

• 3 months later...