• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still having electrical problems

chuncomunco

I finally got a new voltage regulator and still the Red "L" light stays either lit or flashing while i'm driving. It doesnt turn on when the car is idle. i'm stumped. lol.

(2760940) 1972 2002Tii Agave, Supersprint Headers, IE SS Exhaust, BMP SSK, Crane XR3000 w/ MSD Blaster, IE 284 cams, JB Racing Aluminum Flywheel, Seral 13x6

Have you checked them? The intermittent display of the L light suggests a mechanical problem (loose connection, etc) which varies with driving conditions. You probably won't find that with an ohmmeter in the garage, but you might happen upon it by pulling on various parts of the wiring while the engine is idling.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

1. cleanliness and tightness of the plastic plugs on the bottom of the regulator and back of alternator?

2. Same check on the big wire that's bolted to the back of the alternator...that's the main feed from the alternator--the source of all the volts 'n amps it puts out.

3. The brown ground wire that runs from the alternator's frame to the engine block. That's the only reliable ground the alternator has. And that wire can look good and be badly frayed under the insulators at the end terminals. Wiggle the wire while someone watchs the alternator--and do the same with #s 1 & 2 above...

If they all prove OK, then I'd start to suspect something internal in the alternator, per Curt's suggestion.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Check the continuity of the harness which powers both the alternator and the voltage regulator, I pulled a trifecta battery, alternator and voltage regulator in January to drop another $250.00 to have a mechanic rewire the entire circuit because that particular harness had completely erroded and broke away beyond repair.

Of course the piece of advice assumes that you replaced the alternator and have had the battery tested.

Ben

'74 tii - malaga