• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil resister on a 70 -> where is it?

jetboy

is the resister the little cylinder behind the distributer, on the firewall? I put in an ancient (original? ) black coil and holy crap its shooting out power - maybe too much power!-- so i'm worried the the resister is no longer part of the circuit as an aftermarket coil was installed (with a petronix - red and black directly to the coil???)

where should the resister be, what does it look like, and yeah-- thats the idea!

thanks!

BTW: I put this coil in and suddenly my car is runing much better, but my alternator light goes on. hmmm. i think its pulling way too much--

'70 project

Some coils have the resistor built in and others don't. I don't think the black coil has a built in resistor, the one you had on the car prior may have had the built in resistor, so you don't have an external one. The resister, if present, is white and is about an inch and half long and about a half inch wide. It should be mounted on the pass side inner fender and uses the top bolt for the coil to secure it to the car.

'71 2002