• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm affraid of getting burned on ebay

grmnclassic

I currently have several things for sale on ebay and it seems I keep getting shadey emails. There is a guy bidding on a set of dellorto carbs and he has "0" transactions. I know I am no the only person that would be worried. Am I?? Now I know why so many hate Fleabay!! I hope he does not win.

All this after I clearly posted that bidders with no or neg reviews email me!!

I had the same thing happen to me when I sold an iPod. Three times the auction ended with a 'buy it now' and the bidders had 0 feedback. It took me a month to finally sell it, and many emails to eBay to get the fees reversed.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

I've never bought on eBay so if I would make a bid, it would be my first.

that would make me a zero-bidder then?????? Trust me, I would be an honest bidder.

By the way, I am not the one bidding here.

I do realize you need to protect yourself, but keep in mind there may be honest first-time bidders on eBay as well. (if that is what is meant by a zero-bidder......)

I've never bought on eBay so if I would make a bid, it would be my first.

that would make me a zero-bidder then?????? Trust me, I would be an honest bidder.

By the way, I am not the one bidding here.

I do realize you need to protect yourself, but keep in mind there may be honest first-time bidders on eBay as well. (if that is what is meant by a zero-bidder......)

I had the same thing happen to me when I sold an iPod. Three times the auction ended with a 'buy it now' and the bidders had 0 feedback. It took me a month to finally sell it, and many emails to eBay to get the fees reversed.

I hear you Craig!

I am affraid of someone with a bad credit card or saying they never recieved it. Im out a few hundred dollars and no carbs!! ARGHHHH!!

you have the option of placing requirements on bidders...for example, no zero bidders...if they do bid, you also have the option of canceling any bids you want

i've canceled many bids i was uncomfortable with...ebay won't protect you, you have to protect yourself

Esty,

I did post on my description that zero or low/neg feedback must contact me before bidding. I guess that might be my protection. Last week I got high bid on a nardi steering wheel paid the guy last monday morning and still no emails or product from the guy. Now I know how you felt about the carpet kit guy!! More power to you for watching out for us!!

It's best to start off on eBay buying inexpensive things and work your way up once you have feedback. There's a lot you can buy for a few dollars.

Thats exactly what I did. I started with items that were around 10 buck and worked my way up. Its kinda like building up your FICO. You need to show you are trustworthy.

It's best to start off on eBay buying inexpensive things and work your way up once you have feedback. There's a lot you can buy for a few dollars.

That does sound very strange to me. I am the one buying and I need to be trustworthy??? If anything the seller needs to be trustworthy, I am giving him/her my money and I have to see and wait if I ever get the product I've bought.

You make it sound that I need to buy a couple of cheap things in order to buy the thing I want. That does not sound good to me. I can only hope that the European eBay-ers are working differently. And what I have heard of a friend of mine who bought an exhaust for his R5 Turbo from Switzerland where the seller did not make a problem of him being a first time buyer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the buyer does not pay you, the only loss you have is that you still have your goods and you can try to sell it again. It is only the disappointment you have to live with. If I buy something and pay for it and never receive anything then it is not only disappointment for me. I would have lost money on it.

Perhaps I am being too positive and is reality more harsh. But please consider that people can be honest and do not try to take you in by default.

The problem is not with buying, but with paying. Do not forget that there are a lot of scammers. Most will use Paypal, and perhaps you should insist they use Paypal. Paypal will protect you only if the buyer is "comfirmed". Which is a very quick operation done by the Paypal member. It insures Paypal that all infos and credit card # or bank account are indeed legit. The buyer can be traced back and cannot have used a stolen credit card. Paypal will refund you only if the buyer is "confirmed". This is in the 50-page contract written in very small letters...

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

That does sound very strange to me. I am the one buying and I need to be trustworthy??? If anything the seller needs to be trustworthy, I am giving him/her my money and I have to see and wait if I ever get the product I've bought.

You make it sound that I need to buy a couple of cheap things in order to buy the thing I want. That does not sound good to me. I can only hope that the European eBay-ers are working differently. And what I have heard of a friend of mine who bought an exhaust for his R5 Turbo from Switzerland where the seller did not make a problem of him being a first time buyer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the buyer does not pay you, the only loss you have is that you still have your goods and you can try to sell it again. It is only the disappointment you have to live with. If I buy something and pay for it and never receive anything then it is not only disappointment for me. I would have lost money on it.

Perhaps I am being too positive and is reality more harsh. But please consider that people can be honest and do not try to take you in by default.

Ebay is shitty for buyers. I bought an item and basically got screwed, after many emails to the seller I posted a neg feedback on him stating what happpened. HE has the audacity to ned feedback me! The problem with feedback is that it doesn't really reflect what it going on, as the buyer your obligation is to pay your bill quickly, which I did. unfortunately ebay has no concessions for that, and even as a buyer if you do the right thing, a seller can still give you revenge negatives.

Everyone starts off at zero on ebay....you did too, remember that. Generally there is not a problem, I've sold well over a thousand items on ebay and most low feedback bidders have come through..You really have nothing to worry about because if the bidder doesn't send you the money, you don't send the item...pretty simple....Also, you can file a non-paying bidder claim with ebay and get the fees back for listing the auction....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

I have both bought and sold stuff on eBay (including a Porsche) and have not had the slightest problem. I use PayPal whenever I can. Ebay was founded on the basis that most people are honest and that has held true. The horror stories represent a tiny fraction of transactions and many of those get resolved after a bit of haggling. Start out with low cost items to see how it all works and build up a feedback score. If you are nervous about someone, you can exchange a few emails until you get to know him.

I first owned a 2002 in 1975.