• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kugelfischer Rebuilder Experience?

tsteph12

It seems like the Kugelfischer pump on my tii may need a rebuild. I understand there are a few rebuilders out there and wonder if members would comment on individual experiences with outcome. Ideally, I would like to obtain one already done and send mine as a core to the rebuilder. Thanks in advance.

T.R.

'72 2000tii touring polaris

I have years of experience with Tii s

The need for a rebuild is based on What???

My '72 tii touring received a complete engine rebuild last year. It now has an E12 head (stock block switched from 121 head), 9.5 Mahle pistons, stock cam. Engine was even balanced. Upon driving the car, it began to surge, hesitate, ect. It finally just kept stalling. It was felt to be a bad condensor. My mechanic made some adjustments to the pump as well to control the surging at idle that was then found to occur after condensor replacement. The car runs great when cold, but has a problem when warm. It stalls dead when it comes to a sudden stop going forward (even with parking break), but does not stall upon reverse stop. It does not stall with a slow gradual stop. Other than this, it pulls strong and revs well. My mechanic is unable to diagnose the problem after several attempts and feels it might be something internal with the Kugelfischer. Any help appreciated.

T.R.

I highly doubt it's the k-fish pump. It is a very robust thing and should last beyond the life of the car. I would first get a mechanic who knows the kugelfischer. The guy at the local bmw dealer or modern BMW independent shop won't be able to help you. Try an old school porsche mechanic. The k-fish was used on 911s back in the 60s and 70s. First, check the adjusment of the throttle linkages, the electric cold start valve on the throttle body and its circuit, the warm up regulator on the back of the injection pump. All of these need to be functioning correctly. Also, check the ignition timing and also be sure the injection pump belt hasn't slipped. You may also want to check the fuel pressure coming from the electric fuel pump near the rear axle. They are fail frequently.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Guest Anonymous

Rebuilt 72 plastic tube?

Check all of the tubes to insure that they are properly installed.

Check all tubes to insure that they were installed with a new O ring on both ends

Then check for leaks with by spraying a flamable material around each end of each tube

I believe this to be your problem

A very small leak can really screw up the works hence the metal tubes on later cars

The engine and other mechanicals were all done by Jack Fahuna at Pro BMW in Van Nuys, CA. He has had the car several times after the initial engine rebuild, but has been unable to diagnose the problem. It sure would suck big time for me if I went to the expense of rebuilding the pump with subsequent installation, adjustments, ect only to discover it was not the problem afterall.

The whole thing has been quite frustrating after spending thousands of dollars to date. Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

T.R.

Rebuilt 72 plastic tube?

Check all of the tubes to insure that they are properly installed.

Check all tubes to insure that they were installed with a new O ring on both ends

Then check for leaks with by spraying a flamable material around each end of each tube

I believe this to be your problem

A very small leak can really screw up the works hence the metal tubes on later cars

Plastic tube runners were replaced with metal ones. Thanks.

T.R.

Get the pump rebuilt

Dave Redszuz in Bensonville, IL at Performance Automotive Research is very good, pricey and not fast.

Pump comes back perfect in function and appearance.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Get the pump rebuilt

Dave Redszuz in Bensonville, IL at Performance Automotive Research is very good, pricey and not fast.

Pump comes back perfect in function and appearance.

Thanks for the input Bill. I agree that Jack is a super tii mechanic. He is just not confident that the problem is truly from the pump. He admits to being stumped so far.

You said even with the parking brake. Was that with the parking brake alone and no brake pedal at all? It sounds like a classic bad vacuum non return valve. When the valve is bad the idle goes down when you depress the brake pedal.