• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have a wiper speed switch in an '02???

DukeRimmer

I think they're for e3/e9 only, but not sure. TIA

I think most (all?) e3 wiper speed switches have three positions as opposed to two for the roundie-era 2002 switches. For '73 roundies and maybe late '72s that use the six-pin wiper relay, you can use a three-position switch along with a late-style intermittent wiper relay to add that feature. There was once a BMW upgrade kit that included a three position E3/E9 dash switch, an intermittent relay (6+1 pins) and a short wiring harness and instructions.

But you do not really need the switch or kit. Essentially, all you have to do is plug in the new relay and then wire the outlying 7th terminal to a source of 12V. When that terminal gets 12V, the wipers will sweep every 10s or so.

I have mine wired to ignition switched 12V via a small toggle switch hidden under the dash. When that switch is on I get intermittant wiper mode but can also use the stalk-end wiper switch to go in and out of continuous mode - this is convenient at stoplights and works great in the usual drizzly/misty conditions around here.

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

I think they're for e3/e9 only, but not sure. TIA

But you do not really need the switch or kit. Essentially, all you have to do is plug in the new relay and then wire the outlying 7th terminal to a source of 12V. When that terminal gets 12V, the wipers will sweep every 10s or so.

I have mine wired to ignition switched 12V via a small toggle switch hidden under the dash. When that switch is on I get intermittant wiper mode but can also use the stalk-end wiper switch to go in and out of continuous mode - this is convenient at stoplights and works great in the usual drizzly/misty conditions around here.

regards,

Zenon

Any chance you could post or email a wiring diagram for this? Intermittent wipers on my 73 roundie would be a great improvemnt and perfect for Melbourne if it ever rains again.

faqsignature.jpg

Any chance you could post or email a wiring diagram for this? Intermittent wipers on my 73 roundie would be a great improvemnt and perfect for Melbourne if it ever rains again.

I walked right into that one. ;-)

As I said above, it can be as simple as wiring power (+12V), via a switch that you add, to the "extra" terminal on the 2002 (and e23, e24, e12, e3, e9, M1) wiper relays with intermittent feature. They are identical to what came in the '73 save for an extra spade terminal which is really obvious when you have them side by side. When that terminal gets voltage and the ignition switch is in the accessory or run positions, your wipers will swipe intermittently.

A suitable power source would be to tap the violet/black wire at the wiper relay (it's protected by fuse 12) or similar switched and fused circuit - there is almost zero current drawn so there is no worry about extra load. Just make sure it turns off when the key is out.

Sorry, I don't have the wiring details on the "factory" e3 switch method but the principle would be the same.

regards,

Zenon

I walked right into that one. ;-)

As I said above, it can be as simple as wiring power (+12V), via a switch that you add, to the "extra" terminal on the 2002 (and e23, e24, e12, e3, e9, M1) wiper relays with intermittent feature. They are identical to what came in the '73 save for an extra spade terminal which is really obvious when you have them side by side. When that terminal gets voltage and the ignition switch is in the accessory or run positions, your wipers will swipe intermittently.

Silly question, but where is the wiper relay located? Given that stage three water restrictions came into effect today, I may be dreaming if I think I will need them any time soon, but I like to think it will rain properly again someday :-) Thanks for help Zenon.

faqsignature.jpg

Silly question, but where is the wiper relay located? Given that stage three water restrictions came into effect today, I may be dreaming if I think I will need them any time soon, but I like to think it will rain properly again someday :-) Thanks for help Zenon.

On left hand drive cars the relay is up under the dash near the steering column - i'd imagine they would be about the same on RHD. Duke posted a nice illustration of what you are looking for and the difference between the two versions.

regards,

Zenon