• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage rally's

Happy Face

I saw a mention of the California Alpine Vintage Rally and have seen other notes about some of these across the country.

Was wondering if anyone has some info on some of these rally's, especially road rallys like the Alpine one where many different makes are present.

thanks

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

Your best bet is to put one on yourself.

Not hard, but quite a bit of work. The Alpine is (officially) 2 days, the Melee is 3 days, and the Shamrock is a single day. These are all the low buck drives for average Joes with a wide array of pre-1976 cars. The California Mille and others are considerably more pricey and attract a more exclusive (and sometimes more hygenic) crowd with even more exotic and rare cars.

Decide what the event is that you would like to see and make it happen.

Shoot me an email with your questions and I'll fill your ear.

Steve.jackson@med.ge.com

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

We've done a bunch of day drives here in the local BMWCCA chapter. I've helped organize many of them.

I guess what I'm talking about are the rallys where a whole slew of vintage cars come together of all different varieties, not just bimmers. I don't think our BMW chapter would do one of these because of the tie to the national club (BMW specific, club membership and all that stuff).

A few years ago the Alfa club here put on a nice run to the Texas hill country where all were invited. I haven't seen anything else like that since.

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

As the organizer, you are responsible for how many and what type of cars attend.

Finding the vintage BMWs is usually not a problem as most are running and just looking for a reason to drive. Make up a flyer and take it to the local Britsh car shop. If their cars are running, I bet the MG, Jag, & Austin owners will be up for the drive. Offer espresso in the morning and you will attract the Alfa and Fiat drivers. Mention the posibility of a concours prize and you could get the Porsches and MBZs to show. If the route goes anywhere near an Ikea store then the Saabs and the Volvos will come.

Make up some flyers and post them around repair shops for the other makes. Many of us BMW owners also own or know other vintage car types. Carry some flyers with you and tag vintage cars when you see them.

Mostly, decide what YOU want the event to be. If someone is not happy with YOUR event, offer to help them organize THEIR event. I, for one, am always up for another vintage drive. The more the merrier.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes