• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 trany tunnel

us4736

heres some pics of the tunnel i made out of fiberglass for the m2 with the M3 transmission . i first used 1/2" chicken wire shaped it and screwed it down to the tunnel then covered everything in clear packing tape .i layed up four sheets of fiberglass on it let it harden over night and poped it off in the mornning trimed all the edges and removed the wire and it fits like a glove . i think i might need a posi rear for this thing

post-1291-13667572051429_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667572052757_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667572054128_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667572055521_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667572056791_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Wicked looking car. Very interesting solution. 2 questions: Will the fiberglass add back some structural integrity or have you added other bracing/reinforcement to the area? Looks like the S14 wants to twist the thing in half and with the lack of structural metal will just the rockers hold it? How are you running a speedometer on the car? I guess that is three questions but only 2 topics. Again, very nice car.

i did'nt add any supports i only cut the top of the tunnel so i hope it will be ok and the right now i don't have a speedo but later i may get a digital dash display with all the gauges

heres some pics of the tunnel i made out of fiberglass for the m2 with the M3 transmission . i first used 1/2" chicken wire shaped it and screwed it down to the tunnel then covered everything in clear packing tape .i layed up four sheets of fiberglass on it let it harden over night and poped it off in the mornning trimed all the edges and removed the wire and it fits like a glove . i think i might need a posi rear for this thing

COOL! Did you use the wire mesh for shape/form or structure? There are polyester core type materials out there that will end up being stronger once glassed over that will provide as much if not better support than the wire mesh - but they aren't as easy to work with as the wire because they are either brittle and flat or flexable and soft.

Either way great job!!! It looks killer. Glad someone finally used glass on their car and published it. I used glass on my floors only because I didn't have a welder at the time and now I'm glad that I didn't weld. The floors are lighter, stronger and you'd never know. I tied the glass into the frame rail and all is good - the only thing missing now is the fiberglass/carbon rockers and my car will be well on it's way to being the first composite 2002!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

the nice thing is its removable because you can't get the motor and transmission in together and its alot easier to get at all the bolts from the top . BTW winston i just used the wire to get the shape i put clear packing tape over it and pulled the glass mold off of it .

Lets not start on Cris, he is one of the most helpful '02faqers around. He has always been a great help to me with many questions, not to mention real stuff like helping getting Steve's car back on the road, or helping with Armond's car when it was playing up...

He has a multi-award winning car and more than enough knowledge on 2002's to sink a ship. He completes his own work and has been innovative, whilst been tasteful with his modifications. Not only does his car wins awards for its outstanding appearance, the "mauve purple car" (Fjord colored to all those who know!) goes around tracks as well.

Whether it is your taste or not, I would have that car over 99.9% of the 2002s belonging to people on this site. There are far worse people around this site that deserve a basting, Cris is not one.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg