• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emissions stuff on a '75 02?

Dirt

Okay. One more noob question and then I'll give it a rest for the day. :D

One of the joys of owning a 31 year old car in Virginia is not having to pass emissions. From what I've read, the '75 is the least desirable of the 2002 years because they put emissions stuff on, but didn't really get it all working well.

What can I do to remove that?

I've read that a good upgrade is to replace the vacuum advance alternator with the mechanical advance one from the Tii. I didn't see anything in the FAQ about that process. Are there other parts involved? Where can I find a decent Tii alternator and how much is that bugger going to set me back?

Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate it. I'm usually very thorough about my write-ups for things, so there will surely be a detailed install How2 in the FAQ for most modifications and repairs that I make with this car. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am probably one of the more anal about documenting all the things I do.

Pete

You can remove everything except the vacuum line going from the carb to the dist. From what I've been hearing over the last 10 or so years, the mech advance dist isn't really going to be much help on a stock motor. One of the nice things about these cars is the simplicity. All you need is carb, motor and exhaust pipe. All of those pots and pipes can be ditched along with the 8' of wiring harnesses that go with them.

You're going to have to plug the side of the intake manifold, and a couple of vacuum pipes on the same. you'll also want to start soaking the exhaust manifold with your favorite penetrating oil a couple of days before taking off and plugging up the exhaust manifold. Or better yet if you can find a pre smog or Tii exhaust manifold that will bolt right up.

I ripped all the smog crap off of my 75 last year, here's some pics of it.

http://users.adelphia.net/~2002targa/75/75.htm

Good luck,

where in VA are you? I'm heading up to Chesapeake tomorrow to drop some guys off at the airport..

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Thanks for the info. That's awesome.

The photo helps too.

I live just outside of DC.

Thanks for the advice on the exhaust manifold. The thing is completely rusted. One of the first purchases for this car is going to be a full exhaust system from the head back.

I'm contemplating dipping the whole car in penetrating oil for a few days before diving into this project. ;)

Pete

on a tii dist versus a non-tii dist, and that may not be a good thing for you. You would be just as well off to disable the vacuum advance/retard on your existing dist.

Be careful what you remove, and save the pieces. It's a bit theatrical to suggest removing "everything" or "all the smog crap" without listing which pieces those are. There is no advantage and some potential disadvantages in removing or disabling parts such as the fuel shutoff solenoid, vapor recovery system, crankcase vent, etc.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

There is a wealth of info to be found searching under "smog" and "de-smog". Try this one for starters....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,270109/highlight,desmog/

Regards,

Simon

D'oh! I'm such an idiot. Around we use the term "emissions" instead of "smog". I should know about that from the little bit of time I've spent in California.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Pete