• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI: Carbon Fiber Hood/Deck lid group buy is cancelled

Guest Anonymous

How about someone else that's straight-up and trust worthy taking over the group buy? Coop - you could introduce them to the old man at the factory - they take on the hassle, 11+ 02 owners get their carbon fibre, you get a peaceful life and whoever picks up the ball is reimbursed with a free set of panels for their troubles.

Everyone's happy nes pas?

Come on Coop - how about it, or is something happening?

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

How about someone else that's straight-up and trust worthy taking over the group buy? Coop - you could introduce them to the old man at the factory - they take on the hassle, 11+ 02 owners get their carbon fibre, you get a peaceful life and whoever picks up the ball is reimbursed with a free set of panels for their troubles.

Everyone's happy nes pas?

Come on Coop - how about it, or is something happening?

Anyone who has tried to deal with me regarding parts lately knows that I'm in no position to spearhead a group buy like this. I just simply don't have the time. If however someone would be interested in taking over I have a source in California and in Rhode Island that can make first-rate products. I'll be happy to do the introductions as well as buy in - but can't run the thing....

How about DAP BMW?? He makes some bad-ass glass stuff... I'm sure he and his man can lay up some CF if need be. It's the same darn stuff at 5 times the price and 5 times the splinters!!!

thomasjwinston at yahoo dot com

(convince ToddK to MAKE the CF parts at his place and I'll help!) I'll donate the vacuum bagging equipment ....

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Hi Winston. There are several ways to work with fiberglass and CF. From shitty to excellent. Not only having perfect moulds is essential with CF (you can't sand down imperfections), but a great product needs the proper technology. A shop that hand lays fiberglass, will not be able to do great CF. It requires thicker moulds. It requires CF expertise, vacuum pump to bag the cf or you get excess epoxy and the parts become brittle. We should not underestimate the workmanship involved in maing any great product.

If the previous batch from COOP was great, then keep the same shop.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

If the previous batch from COOP was great, then keep the same shop.

I agree 110%. If someone would step up to the plate it would be a beautiful thing....

Also something to consider is that there is a fake carbon fiber - black polyester fiberglass, out on the market now which would look exactly the same as the CF but drop the price down substancially. Costs would be lower and sales price would be lower. Whether or not you believe it (meaning anyone - not you Lee), the difference in weight and strength between properly laid up glass and CF with epoxy resin and vacuum bagged is zero. The carbon is not needed for the application other than esthetics (looks). Regardless, I hope someone else steps up to the plate.

Finally - In COOP's defense, if the same shop is used and the group is happy again - then COOP has nothing to do with it other than being owed many thanks for his time and effort. He's not making these parts he's just a nice enough guy to offer them.

E36 

It is true that instead of using 3 (or 2) layers of cf, it would be cheaper (much cheaper) to have a top layer of CF and two layers of thin mat underneath. CF is geting pricier month after month, while thin polyester mat stays just the same. As a racers, even 3 layers of vacuum bagged thim mat with black epoxy would do the job as the parts would be painted anyway.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

It is true that instead of using 3 (or 2) layers of cf, it would be cheaper (much cheaper) to have a top layer of CF and two layers of thin mat underneath. CF is geting pricier month after month, while thin polyester mat stays just the same. As a racers, even 3 layers of vacuum bagged thim mat with black epoxy would do the job as the parts would be painted anyway.

Lee, I meant quite litterally - they now sell black fiberglass that looks exactly like CF only it's not. It's only about 10% more than regular cloth but is cloth rather than CF.

I agree on the above though. CF is only for looks - best saved for the ricers.

E36