• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 nose repair help

kstrause

I have recently taken on a project of restoring a 72 2002. The car is basically sound except for some minor rust in the spare well and this troublesome area at the base of the nose. The shock towers are great, the rockers are great, mechanicals are all there, etc. I'm looking for advice on repairing the nose. It appears that a previous owner cut a small hole about 2 inches wide and 8 inches long to see what might be behind it. From what you can see is it salvagable? Or should it be replaced?

post-2298-13667571282595_thumb.jpg

post-2298-1366757128408_thumb.jpg

'72 Nevada (as yet un-named)

that pocket formed by the junction of the radiator support panel and the outer nose skin. The easiest way to repair is to find someone on the board with a trashed but unrusted nose panel and cut the piece you need out, then weld it into yours. If you do this, make sure you cut yours back to sound metal so you'll know how big to cut the patch panel.

Once it's welded in, clean that pocket out thoroughly across the car's front, rustproof with your chemical of choice (POR 15, Rustoleum etc) and enlarge the drain holes so pebbles won't clog 'em up. That (and a semiannual flushing and inspection with a strong light and mirror) should keep it from happening again.

My '69 was rusted in exactly the same place and that's how I fixed it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite