• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering coupler: quick question

KFunk

I'm in the process of changing my steering box. I just beat the steering coupler out of my car, and plan to reuse it. But in the process, I broke off one of the metal loops from the spring, you know the ones that go around the bolts on each side. Can I forget about that and just reassemble it, rig something up, or will it be a deathtrap?

I'm thinkin it must just hold some extra tension in the coupling somehow...and as long as I have it bolted in there it won't go anywhere. Maybe someday I'll buy a new coupler, and it'll include a spring with it.

I'm livin in the middle of nowhere, so there's no possibility of a quick trip to an imports parts store or dealership (2+ hours away).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Cool, thanks Curt. My dad managed to figure that out, and glad that you confirmed it.

So of course, my horn doesn't work right now. I've still got some final details to work out tomorrow.

Further help needed:

I screwed up, and now my steering wheel isn't straight. I forgot to pay attention to the way the splines lined up. Can I just take out my big steering wheel nut and rotate the wheel a little, or do I need to take the steering coupler back apart? I've never had the steering wheel nut off before, so I'm not sure what it holds exacty....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

you can do it either way. Without removing the steering wheel, remove the big nut and washer. Look for alignment marks on the shaft and wheel. If there are marks, it's better to keep the wheel aligned with the shaft; realign the shaft at the coupler. If not, just remove and rotate the wheel.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

ack, no go on the steering wheel end. I have two rounded out bolts holding my momo wheel on there, and they refuse to give away. Pounding a torx in there didn't help, and I broke a couple drill bits on them....

Looks like I'm gonna have to take that stupid steering coupler back apart. That thing is really annoying...

Bring a Welder

You can undo the upper end of the coupler and pull the steering wheel up/back to get the shaft clear of the coupler.

i can do that without removing the big steering wheel nut? well crap, i shoulda did that before. doh!

Bring a Welder

If you would have adjusted the wheel by undoing the big nut in the steering wheel area, you would have put the signal light cancellation out of snych.

What do they say,,,,,ask me how I know?

Remember to preload the steering wheel/coupler.

Dads are smart people

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5