• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

still no signal lights

esty

before i started working on my o2 last year everything electrical worked so, i know it's something i've done, in the restoration, under the hood, that's causing my problems..

my turn signals don't work and i've tossed the towel in on trying to get them to...the wiring goes too many directions for me to figure out...

what i'm hoping is that someone could draw me a pic of how to wire from scratch, a signal light circuit...i don't care about, and it'd probably be simpler, to omit the emergency flasher from the circuit

or...does anyone have a link to an aftermarket signal circuit i could pick up

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

If you haven't yet tried this:

make sure you have a working HAZARD switch installed - without it - no siggy lights will function....

check silly stuff - like connector under the fusebox, make sure the circuit is getting voltage, check for voltage / ground at the switch itself, too...these are easy tests, and would prevent you from screwing 'round with "all new" wiring harness stuff. I doubt you would end up making a harness simpler than the original!

check that the flasher relay gets voltage and is grounded, and functioning. A relay that sits for long periods of time can corrode and get wonky.

test light = friend

HTH!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

Also make sure your hazard switch is installed correctly. I put mine in one notch off and it took me a long time to figure out what was wrong

Esty:

I checked you previous thread on the subject, so maybe this will help...

Although I am less than an expert on the subject, I do recall a thread on the Roadfly message board related to having the connecting wires inverted. If you can find a wiring schematic showing which color wire goes connected where, that might help....

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

thanks you guys...i do have power from the fuses...i have power into the signal stalk, the emergency flasher and the signal flasher...but no lights

i have 3 emergency flashers, the original that work'd, and 2 new ones, still in the box...they appear to only go in one way, insuring they're in correct and...if one's bad, all of them are...it doesn't matter which one i try, i still have no lights

my hazard switch goes in 3 different ways, but only works in one of the three

i tried to get mine to go in in different ways but it will only fit one way...mine has a pin off center of the middle, that's angled somewhat, which prevents it from connecting more than one way...i'm working on a 76, perhaps there is more than one configuration of hazard switches...i don't know

The turnsignals ground through the holes in which the lights mount to the fenders. With all that paint/body work you may not be getting a good ground. Run perhaps a seperate one or scrape some paint off and see if that fixes your problem.

If more power is better then way too much is just enough.

"Why do it once when you can do it thrice!"

The turnsignals ground through the holes in which the lights mount to the fenders. With all that paint/body work you may not be getting a good ground. Run perhaps a seperate one or scrape some paint off and see if that fixes your problem.

thanks for the tip...that was the 1st thing i did...i ran a dedicated ground wire from fronts and rears

when I fixed all mine I popped the relay apart and started there, I did hazard wires first

I dont have a diagram though, on my car pretty much everything was a bad connection, and the relay contacts were worn out, sandpaper fixed it

74 2002, 95 M3, 01 X5

What kind of bulbs do you have in your lights? One of the issues I run into all the time is if there isn't good bulbs in the light fixture it will cause all problems. I kept on getting a warning light on my e30 till I decided to replace all the bulbs with good german ones. Now Pa du problem!

If more power is better then way too much is just enough.

"Why do it once when you can do it thrice!"

Turn on the hazard switch. All four exterior lights should flash, the indicator in the instrument cluster should flash, and the hazard switch should flash. At least some of that should happen, even if the bulb, socket, or wiring for three of the four corners is bad. Report back.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Turn on the hazard switch. All four exterior lights should flash, the indicator in the instrument cluster should flash, and the hazard switch should flash. At least some of that should happen, even if the bulb, socket, or wiring for three of the four corners is bad. Report back.

no lights anywhere when i turn the hazard switch on...nothing happens when i turn on the signals with the hazard off

Both circuits terminate at the lamps which are fed from the turn switch. Turn switch is fed from both the hazard switch and the flasher. Our late hazard switches (we’re talking about your’76, right?) can not be connected incorrectly because of a central spade connector. The flasher and turn switch can not be wrong because of the shape of connectors. The hazard circuit is fed through #2 fuse, the turn circuit is not. Removing the fuse interrupts the hazard but not the turn circuit. Removing the hazard switch or flasher stops both circuits.

I hope you have the parts to try replacing hazard switch, flasher, and then the turn switch in that order with known good units.