• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door and rear window gasket questions

lsixt

It's been over four years since I had the car stripped to the bones and had the body acid dipped, and the "dis-assembler" is long gone.

In any event, my car is about ready for paint. Once that's done, I'm having the body guy put the new door, hood, trunk, and rear window gaskets in. Leaving the front and rear windscreens for someone else.

Question on door gaskets. Do they install right onto the body frame or was there a piece between the gasket and the body?

Same question for rear window gaskets - by rear windows, I'm talking about the ones that a rear seat passanger could open on a hindge. There is a straight piece that installs against the pillar, then a second longer piece that installs aroung the window frame. Do they go right ontop of the body or are there pieces that the gaskets fit into which then mount to the body???

Any help or pictures of assembly would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Len

I believe, between the door gasket and the body, there is an aluminum strip that is rivetted to the body. If you never took that off, then you should be good to go.

It's #2 in the attached pic (a little misleading as the pic appears to show it on the outside of the gasket!)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

You'll learn all of this as you (or someone else) dissassemble. Just pay attention and take pics and notes if needed.

There's a crazy cotter pin (maybe 2) in the hinge side that actually goes through the glass. Carefully pry the rubber seal up and you'll see it. they are extra fun to put back in too.

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

UGH,

I found the door metal piece and have new rubber for the doors - that's good to go.

Regarding the rear vent windows. I have new rubber as well, but the part that is mucking with me is this:

There is the rubber piece that the cotter pins go through. This piece wraps around the edge of the glass and is held in place with a metal part (which I have). Cotter pins go through all of it making a nice ridged edge supported by this metal brace. It looks like this piece has three short screws that go into what?? I'm having a hard time figuring out how the "hindge" (by hindge I mean the braced part of the glass on the pillar) works???

Am I missing another piece that is actually like a piano hindge, or does this assmbly just attach to the rubber???

UGH

Thanks,

Len