• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CoilOvers

cowlum

Im considering buying the ireland coilovers.

https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&BusType=BtoC&Count1=678020656&Count2=595161080&CategoryID=1&Target=products%2Easp

Has anybody bought a pair of these? what did you think?

What stops the spring from becoming loose when the strut is fully extended? Here in New Zealand it is completrly ilegal to have loose springs in a road car.

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

• Administrators

ireland coil overs are good. i used to run them in the past. There is nothing that prevents the spring from being lose. If that is a problem you will need to get helper springs. They are very low in compression strength. They job is to prevent the actual spring from bouncing.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Even if you use the Rabit Billy Sport and a shortend strut the spring still has some movement. It's only a problem when you get air going over train tracks and the like.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Guest Anonymous

what you can do is what we did on our mustang, if you fit two eyes, one one the body and one on the lower arm and run a adustable cable between the two eyes, and adjust it so that the spings at full droop do not come loose, just a thought?

all warrant of fitness' in New Zelaand stipulate that you must not have a loose spring - no ifs, buts, or maybes...

Its now also ilegal to use cable, pipeing welded to the perches or anything similar.

I think the only way I can see to get round this is to bite the bullet, heavily mofdify the suspension and pay the 400$ to get it road certified.

Unless ofcourse the shaft on the rabbit mk1 shock inserts actually has a shorter reach? I have seen glf mk2 shock inserts and the shaft reach is the same as the 02 even though the shock itself is shorter. which does not help.

If however there is a shock insert with a shorter reach one could place a spacer inside the strut, then place in the shock insert. thus allowing a stumpier spring and not actually having to cut and weld the strut itself. thus passing inspection..

does such an insert exist??

"your my boy blu!"

• Administrators

well, if all you need is to pass the inspection then get longer springs fro the the inspection. raise the cr to the max the suspension allowes and add a long spring. you won;t get a bext performing suspension, but you will pas the test.

steve k.

Ahh, this is where it gets tricky. If I install coilovers i have effectivly modified my car. Once its modified it then needs a cert. At a cert inspection they will wind the pearch down to its lowest to see if the spring falls out. which ofcourse it will and I fail.

If I cut the strut I have effectiely modified the car (unless I can do so in a manner that keeps the strut looknig stock).

If I had a shock with a shorter reach then there is not as much need for coilovers and everything looks stock and WOF is gained..

does anybody know if it is possible to buy shocks that have a shorter shaft reach?

I think if I can't find such shocks Ill just have modify my spare struts and install them only once I have installed the rack and pinion so I can get it all certed at once sometime next year. And for now Ill just get some standard shocks and get the thing to some motokhanas.

"your my boy blu!"

for the record.

people do use coilovers here in newzealand but as I found out today if the shock extension surpasses the spring reach a helper coil and helper pearch are required. Rather expensive option (but may be required).

"your my boy blu!"

If I had a shock with a shorter reach then there is not as much need for coilovers and everything looks stock and WOF is gained..

does anybody know if it is possible to buy shocks that have a shorter shaft reach?

I would assume if the Rabbit shock has shorter body it would also have shorter shaft reach - but you say no. If it is that way you can still shorten the strut body. That way the shock will be mounted lower and it effectively shortens the reach. Shortening can be made so that it still looks stock. You could even mount the shock to the bottom of the strut body and make a special piece to fill the room over the top of schock body instead of under it.

Did any of the ideas help at all?

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• Administrators

the traval on the vw shock is less then 2002 shock, but it will not be short enough. Helper spring is the easiest and the cheaperst way to go. They are used on cars to prevent the spring from coming of the perch. Get the one long enough tocover the free space and it shoudl work. Inless helper springs are not allowed.

steve k.

Hey Tom

Funny you should mention putting the spacer in the top half of the strut housing. I just thought of the last night (took me three weeks - took you two seconds presumably).. I have some spare struts and ill source some junk VW shock inserts to build a mock up. But on first impressions it looks like it might just work.

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/quote.jsp?year=1975&product=L3005-26805&application=000194840∂=Strut%20Insert&dp=true

If I then source a very stiff spring the car shoul raise slightly so its not too low and yet the suspension will be firm.

Ill give it a go with my spare parts and if it works ill build some and post my results.

thanks for everyones help.

"your my boy blu!"