• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

green cap contact corrosion?

robsanab

very interesting... what do you think about this...

my distributor cap contacts get black as usual but they also get this green growth on them. This occurs right there with the standard black wear marks.

Knowing copper gets green when corrosion sets in, I was thinking maybe my spark is not hot enough for some reason and therefore something is wrong with my Crane XR700 (with PS20 coil) ignition system (although the engine runs great and it's been installed for over two years now).

I then talked to the Crane Tech and he said that is exactly what it is... corrosion... only just the opposite condition... the spark is plenty hot. In fact so hot that it is causing vapor in the cap and hence the corrosion. THEN he told me that I need to "vent the cap". He said it's not uncommon to do this in race applications and that they'll just drill a small hole IN the CAP. I said, "but what about a street engine and protection from water and condensation getting IN the cap". He said not to worry. I asked him about putting a small hole in the silicon that I used to secure the wires when I installed the Crane unit. He said that could work. He said a very small hole, like 1/16", might do the trick.

I am a little confused and uncertain because I always thought you wanted a very well sealed distributor so you wouldn't get condensation and dirt in general in there. But maybe newer high powered ignition systems have some sort of venting designed in them.

Interesting huh? What do you think? anyone else experience this?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I stumped the band??!!?? Just one smart-alick comment. I know I need to make things shorter and more concise... I get excited and then carried away.

Nope, just noticed... not even many views. Hell... "what colour is Derby?" even got more hits than mine.

I must use a more attention grabbing title next time like... "what's this wurth on Ebay?" or "best 2002 upgrade?" or "REALLY pissed OFF at (insert vendor here)" or "Esty is a bitch ho and Al stinks like cheese".

maybe I'll try again later... I think it's a relevant question/inquiry... it even intrigued my BMW crazed mechanic who at first thought it could be an output problem with the coil... until it checked out OK and then we talked to the Crane tech.

Rob

Cool thank you... that helps confirm my suspicions... I think I will try to open up the dizzy somehow... don't want to drill a hole in the cap just yet. Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Rob

Come on now, drill the hole. It's a distributor cap, not a Faberge egg. Buy a new cap and throw it in the trunk. Go ahead drill the hole.

If it gets worse, you're back at square one for about $ 10.00. If you're really tight right now, I'll give you one. Go ahead drill the hole.

Right now, turn off the computer, grab the drill. Go ahead do it......

A common issue on E type v12 and XJS 12's is engine fires from build up of fumes in the dizzy cap and subsequent explosion, drilling a small hole in the cap is standard practice (for the knowledgeble that is).