• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspention Question!!

Supergeek

This past Saturday I finally installed my Ireland stage 1 springs and Bilstein sports on the rear of my '76. My question is this, was I supposed to remove those rubber seats that the springs sit on? I had to use a spring compresser to install the springs, and now the rear of the car is actually about an inch higher?! The Ireland springs didn't really seat on them all that well. Should I have removed those rubber seats? Or is there a trick to this. This is the first time I've done this so I'm alittle stumped. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

With normal springs it is expected that you will re-use the rubber spring seats... and I would have assumed by default that would be the case with aftermarket springs also.

Have you contacted Ireland Engineering to get their advise on how their product should fit in this situation?

As for the car's new stance... it is not unusual for a car to sit taller when new springs are installed, especially if the old ones are significantly deteriorated.

The new ones will gradually settle down as time passes.

My '73 has very soft old springs in the rear....and I can alter the ride height by an inch just by filling up the fuel tank.

Can you please measure the ride height with the new shocks/springs installed?

I have also purchased Bilstein Sports, and have deferred installation while I debate whether or not to order the Ireland stage 1 spring kit and install it at the same time (as you have just done).

I'd really love to know the ride height.... from the groung to the top of the wheel arch, or to the beltline trim, or some other reference would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think I installed the fronts in the rear and vice versa. The springs had a decal on them that said RR, and the fronts read FR. So I guess they were installed the right way, Unless the decals were installed on the wrong springs?! I'll try to get the measurement tomorrow, I'm stuck at work today until midnight.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!