Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

When I turn on my lights or wipers, the temp and gas needles

6 posts / 838 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

(nt)go crazy! Is it a bad ground. Not sure where to look. I just replaced the dash, so maty have crossed some wires.

Thanks

I think you have basically answered your own question...

Double check all of the ground connections first.. then check any of the electrical connections to the dash.

Same problem here--

I cleaned up my firewall ground behind the right side of the cluster and got a measurable improvement. It still occurs a little bit, but a good tap on the dash makes a difference... My plan is to remove the cluster and clean all the contacts until they shine...

The fluttering gauge needles are often also an indicator that the chassis of the car is not properly frounded in the first place. This is an extremely common electrical system problem.

Have you verified that you have a ground cable connection from the -ve terminal on the battery to the insde of the engine compartment (i.e. near the battery tray?). Are the connections clean and tight?

Guest Anonymous

I agree it's a ground problem, bat to engine or bat to chassis

Presuming the battery to body & battery to engine ground wires are good and clean (check them first)...

Remove cluster, locate two small brass nuts on the back side of the temp/fuel gauge circuit board. Make a "Y" shaped ground wire, fasten one leg of wire under each nut, and the longer end to a convenient body ground behind the dash.

Problem solved.

cheers

mike