• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

she's still not starting . . .

my car and computer are twelve miles apart so i want to study up a bit more before i continue fiddling . . . if i determine that there is spark, but weak spark, what are some possible suspects? i'm going to go through the old wiring to the coil and take out the resistor and relay that are doing me no good. i'm not totally sure that the electrical side is the culprit - but i suppose i should start at the beginning and this is a good a time as any to make sure that that piece of the puzzle is all spiffy and clean. agai, she's cranking but won't catch - drove for a night after i replaced points and condenser, and then wanted to sleep again. . . .

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

you assume correctly - she's got a weber carb. i can't give specifics (i'm actually doing my research on webers right now, this has been a blind spot for me for too long.) it's got a mechanical fuel pump that i tested the other night, and appears to be doing its job just fine. the fuel line from the pump to the carb is suspect for it has seen its better days pass and i have heard that even the slightest of debris kicking loose inside a hose and finding its way into a carb can cause any of a myriad of issues. . . i'm hoping to look into carb problems this afternoon - but i need to get my ducks in line before i got disassembling anything (anything you've got on the subject would be appreciated . . .)

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

you assume correctly - she's got a weber carb. i can't give specifics (i'm actually doing my research on webers right now, this has been a blind spot for me for too long.) it's got a mechanical fuel pump that i tested the other night, and appears to be doing its job just fine. the fuel line from the pump to the carb is suspect for it has seen its better days pass and i have heard that even the slightest of debris kicking loose inside a hose and finding its way into a carb can cause any of a myriad of issues. . . i'm hoping to look into carb problems this afternoon - but i need to get my ducks in line before i got disassembling anything (anything you've got on the subject would be appreciated . . .)

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

I had your exact problem, with Otis, who runs dual Webers. I changed all of the electrical, rewired everything, new plugs, wires, coil, points, "the works." I even re-routed the fuel lines to avoid vapor lock, etc. etc. etc. -- and further etc. And the mechanical fuel pump seemed fine; I even installed an in-line guage. But, the problem continued; "he no start." Only after switching to an electric fuel pump, did the problem go away. Thursty guys, those Webers.

If you go this route, make sure you fuse and put a relay on the fuel pump -- search a few pages back, I think someone posted the wiring diagram.

thank you - i'll look into the elctrical pump - the electrical end is just about airtight (almost) so when i'm certain of that i'll question that pump a bit more. would a no start like this be symptomatic of a sunken float? this has come up sevral times in conversation but, as i've mentioned, that carb is a big mystery to me - simply due to the fact that i have not delved into it (delving is commencing as we speak.) anything carb-wise that i should be on the look out for? i've gone so far as to take the air filter off and peer into the venturis, but a knowledgable mind or a nice thick book on webers will have to be by my side before i go a whole lot further. . .

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

c.d. - checked all those and the only question among them would be gas - i can smell it in the carb but i don't trust that as being enough proof to tell me that it's correct . . . i know i'm getting spark from coil and plug wires, but i had to get creative, being by myself when i tested these - so it was impossible for me to tell how strong a spark. i'm recruiting someone to give a hand tonight. iread that the proper resistance on plug wires is between 1000 and 1400 ohms. same for ht coil wire?

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

Check for spark, pull a plug wire & see if arc to ground when cranking, strut tower bolt or engine cover is good place. If have spark, & want to check gas/carb, easy trick is can of starting fluid, blast about 1 or 2 seconds into carb. If it doesn't try to fire on any cylinders, your timing is likely way off, or points issue. Also can't hurt to pull plugs & see if they are wet after you've been trying this.

2002 owner since 1980