• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 Tranny Options

GetOuttaMyWay

Hello Folks,

I picked up a S14 on the cheap recently to drop into my 1974 2002. I didn't get a few crucial components in the deal, including a transmission, AFM or ECU, but it was damn cheap.

I'm wondering what my transmisison options are. So far from my google research and a call to Double02 Salvage, it sounds like there are a few different options:

1- E30 M3 gearbox. Pricey I hear, and it looks like the tranny tunnel will need some surgery?

2- e21 320i gearbox apparently is the most common method, but you have to send the bellhousing to a shop in LA that will modify it to accept the crank sensors.

3- Get the bellhousing from a e30 m3 gearbox and other older boxes will work with that bellhousing?

4- How about the tranny's from e30 318i or 318is? I'm wondering if ths 318is box has the sensors for the crank position since they're of a similar era of Motronic.

Let me know what you guys think or if you can point me to some good references. I'm trying to do this project on the cheap. I'm not concerned at all about the speedometer issue since I just really need to know what RPM is 80mph in 5th gear so I don't get speeding tickets ;)

Thanks.

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

1- E30 M3 gearbox. Pricey I hear, and it looks like the tranny tunnel will need some surgery?

2- e21 320i gearbox apparently is the most common method, but you have to send the bellhousing to a shop in LA that will modify it to accept the crank sensors.

3- Get the bellhousing from a e30 m3 gearbox and other older boxes will work with that bellhousing?

4- How about the tranny's from e30 318i or 318is? I'm wondering if ths 318is box has the sensors for the crank position since they're of a similar era of Motronic.

1- good option, and even better if you source a Euro close ratio box with the dog-leg first gear. You can even get the speedo to work:

http://hem.passagen.se/m2002tii/tech/tips/speedo_on_tranny/index.htm

This gearbox is designated a 265 and is also found in some 6 series and e28 5's. As you pointed out, it's too wide and tall for even an Auto 2002 tunnel - nothing a bit of metal work can't sort out, and the other bonus is that an m3 prop will fit right up without cutting.

With the eruo direct 5th you'll want a 3.45 or 3.64 final drive - assuming road use.

2- as you say - needs sensors and with the OD 5th you'll want a 3.9/4.2 final drive - road use.

3. dunno but don't think so

4. dunno, not been done before as far as I know.

Hope some of this helps.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Great, thanks for the info Nick. I just found a pic of a 318is gearbox and don't see provisions for the crank ref sensors (unless I'm looking at the wrong side?) Apparently they came with a Getrag 240/5

g240-5.jpeg

So it looks like we can scratch #4 off the list, unless anyone knows otherwise.

BTW, I like you're writeup on your M2, I was just checking it out this AM.

--

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

Hello,

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have a buddy who is parting out an E30 M3 as well and I'm sure you'd be able to get parts from him and I'm pretty sure that the tranny is not spoken for. Let me know if you are interested.

For my project I am going with the Getrag 262 CR. I'm looking forward to the surgery. =)

Alex.

I didn't get a few crucial components in the deal, including a transmission, AFM or ECU, but it was damn cheap.

By the way - why spend money on a motronic and an AFM and then realise that the AFM is the single biggest limiting factor for the engine? Spend your money on another engine management system that will allow your new engine to properly breath.

And Alex I assume you meant a 265 box, not a 262??

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

i think the easiest way out is the 320i gear box and get the bell housing modifed .heres a pic of what you have to do to the tunnel (not prety) and you also have to fab up a transmission mount if you use the M3 gear box

post-1291-13667567730622_thumb.jpg

post-1291-1366756773185_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Nick, so its definitely not possible to bang the manual tunnel enough to fit the 265? It HAS to be cut and new sheet metal welded in?

yes it has to be cut. especially heightwise

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Hello Nick,

You have a great website. I've refered back to it many times in this process.

I believe the tranny is a 262. It has a dog leg first and the number stamped into the side is 262.0.0510.98. I was confused when I first picked it up as all. Metric Mechanic does have it mentioned on this link.

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pg51.htm

Please correct me if am wrong. I am actually not sure of the differences.

My intention is not the steal the thread but is there a way to keep the stock m3 oil pan as well as moving the engine back?

Thanks,

Alex

Hello Nick,

You have a great website. I've refered back to it many times in this process.

I believe the tranny is a 262. It has a dog leg first and the number stamped into the side is 262.0.0510.98. I was confused when I first picked it up as all. Metric Mechanic does have it mentioned on this link.

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pg51.htm

Please correct me if am wrong. I am actually not sure of the differences.

My intention is not the steal the thread but is there a way to keep the stock m3 oil pan as well as moving the engine back?

why and how much are you looking at setting the engine back?

Thanks,

Alex

you can keep the s14 pan but it needs to be modified by lopping off a portion on the drivers side and rewelding it. i wish i would have done this looking back

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Wild idea here.. what about using the trigger wheel from a m20 that mounts to the front of the crank and reading the crank reference and speed from there? That way I could just use a 320i trans. Man, I really which I had a good manual for the s14... the E30 bentley doesn't cover it.

--

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

Another option is to use a Ford EDIS module and a 36-1 trigger wheel. Either the 36-1 or a 60-2 wheel with a MegaSquirt will allow you to pitch that damn AFM and get some serious air flowing through the engine. You'll also be a bunch of money ahead (no tranny modifications are required).

Spring for a wide-band AFM so you can tune accurately for power and you'll be a happy camper.

Check out www.msefi.com for MegaSquirt info.

Regards,

John N