• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Long Solex...

Biscuit3

At the time of this posting, Karl is currently at the mechanic getting the new Weber and components installed. I am so excited I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!!!

In light of the situation, I wanted to snap a few shots of the old air filter and Solex to remind me of the days of "Lumpy Karl". Plus, I have always liked the view of the Solex when looking down the top of the open air filter. So, I don't want anybody getting any ideas that I am promoting Solex or anything, but I did two pieces from two different pics which I personally think deserve an award. Graphic designers around the world, eat your hearts out!

post-1526-13667567249668_thumb.jpg

post-1526-13667567251987_thumb.jpg

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

used on the later (2bbl) 2002s--main problems were the choke and the vacuum secondary. With a manual choke and a mechanical secondary linkage, it would be as good as the Weber and a lot easier to change jets...

The one bbl Solexes (68-72 cars) are pretty bulletproof (and simple--manual choke except for the automatics and no secondary bbl).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I hate to say it, but as a guy who works in a gallery- i always notice the fun things. let your eyes unfocus on the 6 solex piece- tell me what you see.

this is not a criticism, in fact, that is what makes it art. :)

Nice shot!

you should do a whole series and get yourself a show at a local cafe!

'70 project

I agree with Mike....the 1bbl Solex is a fantastic carb. Easy to keep working properly and just plain bulletproof.

Works great too, until you really get on it and up the rpm's. Nice pull on the low end.

However, admittedly.......I switched over to a Weber 38/38. Heh...

I wanted the power and can afford the gas.

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Guest Anonymous

Starving artist? I used to be one of those...

I also used to have a 32/36 or two laying around. Better mileage than the non-progressive Webers. Or leaking mistuned dual fire starting solexes.

in2002_spark_art.gif

Well, I got shafted again. The used Weber I bought was missing a jet which means no Karl until Tuesday (4 days). Apparently as well, cylinder no.1 has no compression. What could be causing that? Please, somebody give me some good news before I hear it from the mechanic. Does it have something to do with the spark plug?

If I don;'t get some good news soon, Karl may be sitting in the front yard for quite sometime... Never a for sale sign though.

railwayKarl-1.jpg

I hate to say it, but as a guy who works in a gallery- i always notice the fun things. let your eyes unfocus on the 6 solex piece- tell me what you see.

Cock and balls?

railwayKarl-1.jpg