• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality of east coast cars since 02-02-02

Just musing a bit today thinking about all of the east coast 2002s and how they have improved, as a group, since 02-02-02. It seems to me that the flock of 02s have stepped up their quality of presentation and driveabilty since 02-02-02.

If that is true, then thanks to the folks in the southeast that planned that awesome event. My car was so pitiful then, no one would drive behind me because it peed so much oil from everywhere. It is a bit better today.

This post does not mean to exclude the west coast cars, I just do not know that much first hand about them.

Carry on with your everyday efforts to keep them on the road and driving. Thanks to everyone who are so helpful on this board and at the various events.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I agree with you, Bill.

Seems like the 02-02-02 meets were a catalyst for many owners to motivate them to bring their '02's up a notch or ten (like you did).

Many others who maybe used to own '02's years ago have returned to the flock with more economic means that enable them to do theitr cars the right way. Sort of the same as has been occuring within the street rod/muscle car crowd for several years. Guys that owned (or lusted after) a, say, '69 Camaro are now building or buying stunning ones.

Just my opinion.....

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I think you are right given the cars I have seen recently. Perhaps it's time for a 02-02-07 event to gauge our 5yr. progress. I think it's a Friday. Might be a nice unveiling of your Touring.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Hey Bill, Harry, Guys,

My intent is have some small events so we can slowly get back together.

I'm meeting a couple of owners Sunday 'round noon @ Starbucks in front of Town Center Mall Kennesaw. The first event I think will be a scavenger hunt about town. Some kind of 02 parts as the prize ending at lil'5.

Robert Herdman (great guy) has e-mailed the past 02 owners group for the S.E. with my intentions. I hope we can get something rolling again. I'd like the 02-02 event to move around if possible. Bill,I'll ride behind you. These are great cars. Most of the owners too.

Jeff tinkidz1@yahoo.com

There were some very nice 02's in Atlanta when I lived there. There has been some discussion in the past about having a SE 02 fest. Atlanta would be the natural spot since it is somewhat central. If someone in the area (Atlanta/Spartanburg/Zentrum) would pick up the ball, I would be happy to jump in. There are lots of guys in the SE from NC to Fl and beyond (TN, AR) that would have interest. I'm sure other areas as well. 02-02-07?

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

There were some very nice 02's in Atlanta when I lived there. There has been some discussion in the past about having a SE 02 fest. Atlanta would be the natural spot since it is somewhat central. If someone in the area (Atlanta/Spartanburg/Zentrum) would pick up the ball, I would be happy to jump in. There are lots of guys in the SE from NC to Fl and beyond (TN, AR) that would have interest. I'm sure other areas as well. 02-02-07?

Let's do it!

Can't help much from here, but if there's anything I can do, count me in. I will definitely attend.

By the way, any of you guys thinking of going to the Euro Autofest at the Zentrum in October? I might be able to attend, at least on Saturday.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Maybe the SE folks can see what they can do. Couple that with the coast to coast thing that was discussed a few days ago?

Maybe we can exceed the number there in 02 but that would be a tall order.

I will do what I can do from Maryland.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Otis is in, of course. Someone has to be there to play loud music.

Otis and I usually motor about here in Montgomery County, Maryland, without encountering any other classic foreign cars, let alone 02s. But within the last 24 hours, I spoted not one, but two, squaries -- last night (Friday) on Connecticut Avenue in Chevy Chase (couldn't make out the plate, might have been diplomatic, maybe not), and then today, a squarie in a driveway in the suburb of Somerset (near Chevy Chase). Anyone on this board? Sorry, but we had never seen either of you before. Nice rides!

because they cared that much to save their cars from the evils of salt and rust over the years. Don't forget that for a lot of west coaster's the 02 is just a car. since they aren't really that rare. I've only seen about 2 2002's and 1 1600 while driving around princeton NJ over the last 7 years, and they were both like within the same mo or something.

Now at the 02 gatherings, and folks from the board, that is another story.

I should be able to make 02-02-07 since that is now the new deadline for getting the car on the road. My goal is to have it inspected that january anyway.

71+1/2 2002 "henrietta"

69 2002 parts car red

'84 R80ST back on the road again