• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bushing Question!

Supergeek

I am planning to redo the entire front end on my 76 this weekend, is there any way to remove the old rubber bushings on the suspension arms with basic hand tools, or do I need special tools to do this job. Just wondering, because I spent all my cash on parts. Thanks!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Lots of methods to remove the old bushings.

You could use a 1/4" drill to drill out as much of the rubber then it should pull out. Be careful that you don't score up the inside of the metal if you use this method.

Another method is to use fire. Outside, with good ventilation and away from combustables, use a propane torch to heat up the rubber and burn/melt it away as you pull stuff out with pliers. Wear good gloves.

The method I used was to get some threaded rod, washers, and nuts. Using an assortment of large sockets, I was able to press out the old rubber and press in the new. Get a couple of pieces of threaded rod as you will most likely strip out one in the process.

Perhaps using the threaded rod and some heat would be the best combination.

The old stuff is a pain to get out. The new stuff goes in oh, so easy.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

worksheretoo%20(Custom).jpg

Works really well, didn't strip the threaded rod at all, costs under $5 to build it. If you use a really long handled socket wrench, ie torque wrench, it gives you plenty of leverage to get those suckers out in minutes.

The PVC pipe is 1.5" I believe, there is one large washer that caps the end and then about 3 smaller washers that stack on top of that one so the nut has something to push against and the 3 gives it more strength so that it doesn't bend. The other end just has one washer than basically pushes against the metal ring and some of the rubber bushing and 2 nuts so that they lock and turn the tool so you can push it through.

Thanks for the photo Lars. Now I have an idea of what to pick up at Home Depot tomorrow.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

I found this tip somewhere on the FAQ.

If you heat up just the metal sleeve inside the old bushing, the bond between the metal and the rubber will break down. You'll hear it sizzle. Then grab the metal sleeve tightly with vise-grips and twist it out. It took me a few minutes to get it hot enough using a butane soldering iron with a torch tip. If you have a bigger torch it may be faster. Not very messy. The only rubber I had to melt out was a little bit along the outside edge to have a spot to grab the metal sleeve with the vise-grips. It comes right out with a little bit of twisting effort. Then you can push the rubber out with a screwdriver. I did this just last night.

Good Luck!

Andrew

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

I installed C/A bushings from BAVAUTO recently. I was unable to install the outer control arm bushings. I even took them to work to use the press and a unlimited supply of pipe and hardware and lube.

Besides the fact that the bushing would not press into the control arms, the metal sleaves did not have the correct insided diameter. If I had been able to install the bushings, the trailing (leading) link would not have fit into the bushing!!

Examine all your parts before you begin.....good luck.

White '76

'89 325i

'90 Spec Miata

worksheretoo%20(Custom).jpg

Works really well, didn't strip the threaded rod at all, costs under $5 to build it. If you use a really long handled socket wrench, ie torque wrench, it gives you plenty of leverage to get those suckers out in minutes.

The PVC pipe is 1.5" I believe, there is one large washer that caps the end and then about 3 smaller washers that stack on top of that one so the nut has something to push against and the 3 gives it more strength so that it doesn't bend. The other end just has one washer than basically pushes against the metal ring and some of the rubber bushing and 2 nuts so that they lock and turn the tool so you can push it through.

this is EXACTLY the method i used when in college to replace those..

worked well.