• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 trackworthy?

madjurgen

Hello. I recently bought a 1976 2002 as a second car while I put my e30 down for paint and to stroke the motor. I bought the '02 with the intention of turning it into a stripped-down track-only M2. The appeal of a ~260hp 2.5L s14 in a <1900 lb car intrigues me greatly. I know of the rediculous cost of upgrading/upkeeping a s14 so no lectures needed on that front. I dont see myself getting out of this project for less than $40k if done correctly. Thats fine, IF its worth it. Its just that every article I read about M2s, the owner doesnt seem like he got what he wanted out of the project, a bit disappointed if i may. Are there some inherent characteristics in this chassis/powertrain combination that keep it from being an absolute track monster? Ive read of the axle hop, how bad is it really? Im not putting an m20 in there so its either a complete balls-out m10 or a s14. I think you can get much more from a s14 albeit at a much greater cost. So, comments, advice, suggestions, experience?

1990 325i

1976 2002

Check out BLUNT's project thread in the "Test Forum" of this site. He's going to bare metal and posted that he expects to be into his M2 for around $20k. Hopefully some M2 owners will chime in on your questions.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

Guest Anonymous

The M2 is a great track car. VERY fast and cool, its not as fast as the more arodynamic cars but check out the skidmark racing cars. You can definatly build a fast M2 for well under 40k. I have not seen, felt or heard of any axle hop problrms. I know a few guys that have broken stub axles and other components but they are race cars and they are pushing the technology VERY hard.

If you want to make a track rat out of it definaly do brakes, suspension and at least a roll bar. I would do a cage as safty is key.

Its all my D-mod e30 325i wants to take on (and always pass) a good M2.

Sam

LaValle's Import Restorations

336-662-0574

Lowering the weight of an e30 M3 down to 1900 lbs would be very expensive as a stock M3 is around 2800 lbs. You can build a very sharp M2 for less than $15K. This chassis doesn't require much.

Have a good cage welded in. Install Ireland Engineering's race coil-over suspension, get my Massive Brakes and spend money on learning how to drive. I swear, no other e30 M3 will be able to pass you. and you still have a stock 200HP motor... My car has 170 peaky HP and 2000lbs. Very few e30 M3s can pass me.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I've run my M2 on the track for many years, and love it. It's fast and a sleeper. Definately upgrade the suspension, add a rollbar/cage, and get Lee's Massive Breaks. It's about time I updated my website (once every 10 years should be enough, eh?), but I've been tweaking my M2 for a while, and love it. The 2002 is a great car, and the S14 is a great engine.

Ian '76 M2

http://homepage.mac.com/iandickerson/M2002/

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Its just that every article I read about M2s, the owner doesnt seem like he got what he wanted out of the project, a bit disappointed if i may. Are there some inherent characteristics in this chassis/powertrain combination that keep it from being an absolute track monster? Ive read of the axle hop, how bad is it really?

Mines been on the road for nearly 4 years and I love it. Over that time I put together m2bmw.com and have catalogued over 50 similar cars. Of all the owners I've spoken too NO ONE has been dissapointed, in fact quite the opposite. My chassis flexes, but it's a patched up Touring without a cage, and I've only tracked it a couple of times, but it still makes me smile thinking about it.

No brainer for a track car.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Mine was orginally started as a track car.(not by me) I love this little beast. I had to move to Arkansas to keep from racing Sam and beating his ass. J/K. I don't have a roll cage because mine also acts as a kid transporter occasionally.

chipped 2.3 S 14

Ireland big brakes adjustable suspension

ST swaybars

5 speed

3.90 LS

CF hood trunk lids

Volk 15 inch racing wheels

bilstein sports

I did my conversion 5 years ago. I have done autocrosses and plan to do track events next year. I just installed the E30 M3 Close Ratio tranny. Man that thing is fast, the power changed, it's so much fun to drive this little monster!!!

2.3 S 14 with chip

Big brake kit

ST swaybars

5 speed CR

3.45 LSD 50% lock-up

Cromodora 13" wheels

bilstein sports

Jan

The tranni I got from EBAY Germany, I got a good price for it. YES, I had to enlarge the tunnel to be able to fit the tranni. I had to widen it and also make it a bit taller. Can't tell once the carpet was installed.

Regards

Jan