• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank Pully Removal methods

rho

Guest Anonymous

1. Turn the block upsidown on your engine stand, take off the oil pan, wedge as many 2x4 or 4x4's, (wooden blocks) between the crank & the block as you can (goal is to stop the crank from rotating, use an impact wrench and unbolt it. If not use a big-a$$ breaker bar and probably not an engine stand as you'll likely pull the whole thing over.

2. Ask CD what the "proper" tool is, go buy it and be happy you have the right tool for the job because that's more than I got!

I used an impact wrench and just let at it. Then.. I put a big ass breaker bar on the flywheel and one on the crank pulley.. then just had my buddy stand on the flywheel one and I pulled on the other. :) not too hard actually.. not sure how good that impact driver is for the bearings/crank, but in my case they were screwed...

just get one of these, and you don't have to worry about overtorquing one of the flywheel nuts.

TK

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Classic-M10-Flywheel-Lock-Engine-Repair-Parts-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35625QQitemZ4606760789QQrdZ1

I actually have a good way to keep the flywheel from moving. I just use a stubby flat blade screwdriver and position it in the housing and the blade holds on one of the flywheel teeth.

Breaking the nut loose is another story :)

I think putting it on the ground may help for safety purposes...

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Guest Anonymous

Was just going to suggest the stubby screwdriver BUT I wouldn't trust that method for the crank pulley nut!!! For flywheel bolts that only torque to 80ft/lbs or so that's one thing but you'll surely snap a tooth if you go at it with an impact wrench!

As for the lefty-loosey, righty-tighty... Look at the threads, pretty sure it's standard thread but can't recall....

Soak it with WD40, use a wire brush and go at it with an impact. It should come right out.

Sometimes, with a stubborn nut, I apply a little tightening torque then some loosening torque with the impact. A few blows in each direction seem to help. Usually, after a few tries and lot of penetrant soaking, it comes out.

Good luck.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Soak it with WD40, use a wire brush and go at it with an impact. It should come right out.

Sometimes, with a stubborn nut, I apply a little tightening torque then some loosening torque with the impact. A few blows in each direction seem to help. Usually, after a few tries and lot of penetrant soaking, it comes out.

Good luck.

Thanks Pierre, I'll try it this weekend.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i