• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Polaris - TMK-001's 1973 squarie rebuild.

Guest Anonymous

Andrew, why the Queenscliff ferry? I couldnt afford to ride on it :-P It is a freaking rip off! $54 for a 2002 one way! I can drive to and from Phillip Island for $50 from Geelong!!

There will bea Great Ocean Road run one day I promise!!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks mate... I got all the body panels straight from my local BMW dealership. Most of the other parts I have sourced from either my local BMW dealership or BLUNT on here. His prices are as competitive some times a lot better) than my local (even with duties and what not added) and I am happy that the profits are going to building one of the sweetest 2002's around!

I'm trying to do it right. Money permitting or course! In hindsight I should have pulled the motor and got the whole car painted, but it is actually my daily driver and I had no idea how long it would take to get it back on the road. I would have had plenty of time to pull it down and clean and rebuild it. When I put my s14 in it I will paint under the hood again!

toddsig05.jpg

Worked all day today polishing up all the trims and taking out all the little scratches and burrs on the bits I cant afford to replace right now... they have come up very well.

Another day goes by and no paint... hopefully there will be a bit of a more official timeline set out tomorrow as to when things will be ready to move to the auto electricians for the fan and battery relocation.

I am thinking I will put the battery under the back seat - out of the way, etc. That way I still have room for the dead bodies in the boot.

I ordered some more stuff off BLUNT - it has taken a fair while to get the odd accelarator pedal in... everything ele is ready to go no hurry though.

I am working on replacing almost every trim on the exterior of the car - all I really need is the horizontals for below the windows, but cash is tight!

I tried to get Rimspoke to sell me some bits, but he is all out at the moment except for lower rocker mounting kit that is on eBay right now, but I dont like the auction enviroment - especially when I am bidding against other 02faqers... I will have to see what they cost OEM.

The interior saga continues... do I cut holes in the brand new doors for speakers!?! I am loathed, but I have them... the door trims are cut too.

I cant decide on the color either. I found a place that supplies leather to Ford (there is a manufacturing plant for Ford in my home town) that sells leather very cheap at top quality... I might post a bit on the main forum for opinions... charcoal carpets though!

02 much fun.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Todd, I wouldn't go cutting those nice doors. Depending on the size of your speakers, and the quality of the final sound you're after, one option is to cut holes in the 'cardboard' under-dash trim pieces and mount the there. I got a pair of 4" speakers in with no hassles - even with a whole bunch of a/c plumbing to negotiate on the RH side. You may need to use a bit of re-inforcing on the cardboard depending on what shape it's in.....

faqsignature.jpg

Todd... what can I say mate, I love your car. Its a work of art, and its going to be brilliant to see it in its full glory again.

Don't get disheartened with it, shes going to be fab once she's done.

Haven't seen you for a while mate, must catch up soon. You haven't even seen my GRS yet :).

Anyhoo, was at work (yay for arvo shift :()and needed a way to waste an hour or so, so its been a good read :D.

I think a grey/charc leather would look really good mate, get the edges done in those pinstripes like on your wallet.

And remember, I've got that bloke waiting to do your zorst :D.

New Mini Cooper S with lots of "extras" - NUMINI

Kev, great to see you over here too...

Thats Ross, Micky, Dan, Evan, Nick, Mark, you, and a few others I know who check in frequently! When it is done, I am goign to put like 100,000km on it cruising around to show everyone!

Tim, I have a set of 6.5" splits that I would like to reuse - maybe for the rear parcel shelf?? or in the lower back seat support - if that makes sense. I dont want them to se seen, so that is another project I have set myself! Car audio :-P although I dont really have desires to be mega loud or anything, I like music... and on long trips... might get a new headunit with iPod integration!

It's all MONEY!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

I surface mounted my rear speakers on the kick panel below the rear seat squab. It saved cutting any metal and is good most of the time, but I have to warn newbies not to put a foot thru them when they are trying to extract themselves from the back. Ipod integration is easy; just get a head unit with a plug & play jack. You'll run out of petrol long before your playlist repeats!

faqsignature.jpg

Thanks Tim. my plan was to put some heavy guage wire mesh over the front of them under the material I cover it with - that way it is protected a bit - hope - someone still managed to put a foot through my one in the door after the knocked the cover off it.

Yesterday was a good day!

I got the dash out - I used the FAQ guide and it was great! I pulled the screen and the bolts were already removed... the good thing was there was no rust on the inner window frame, infact no sign of surface rust at all. I cleaned up the gauge cluster and it looks sweet... hopefully it will all work when I put it back!

Back to work today... hopefully some primer tomorrow!

Pics are coming~ soon I hope!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

I meant to say... the other day my spray painter had a car he did win the car of the show at the Daimler concourse for Australia!

I showed him pictures of all the 2002s I like that I had on my computer and he said that he wants it to be better than most of them!

I FREAKIN HOPE SO!

He is spending heaps of time getting the rear 1/4s right as he said that is where a lot of the cars I showed him were wavey...

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Guest Anonymous
You'd think Mobile Tradition already has a fair idea of the state of your car given the amount of new parts they've supplied!

Keep up the good work and when mines done I'll race you down to the Queenscliffe ferry!

Come down to Melbourne for the GOR run :-)... betta not make a date though yet *looks at Todd*

yeah....dammit still having trouble getting these wheels back from this little theiving prick who took them. todd i am sorry man, but i looks like i have to go to the cops and press charges agenst him.

or just rock up to his house, i might try calling him agian. but yeah a GOR run would be grand, the e21 will be there with the m20 purring away. BRING IT ON!!!